WLP833 Yeast Starter not Starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
I had an old-ish package of WLP833 with a manufacture date of 2/20/18 that I made a 1L starter @ 1.030 for yesterday. At roughly 24 hours on the stir plate (~70°F), I've seen zero activity. Even with most lagers I usually see significant activity by now. Any chance this one is a slow starter due to age or other factors? How long should I let it ride before I give up and head over to the LHBS for another pouch of yeast?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't tell from your description if you are looking for action in the starter or in the beer. If the starter you might not see anything resembling a fermenter action. Look for tiny bubbles rising in the starter. You may need a flashlight and to look very closely.

If it is in the fermenter, how long since you pitched the yeast? I would say your starter was on the small side for the age of the yeast and I would not get to worried until 48 hours after pitching. Maybe even a bit longer than that. Also if in the fermenter what is the temperature? Cold = slow.

The yeast is weak and the action of the stir plate may be dispersing the krausen if it is forming. Take it off the stir plate for an hour or longer then give it a swirl. You may see some krausen rise indicating the yeast is still working but very slowly.

After roughly 30 hours it starting bubbling and finished up shortly thereafter. I've since cold-crashed it and stepped it up with an additional 3.5L of wort. It seems to be bubbling along just fine after 12 hours or so on the stir plate. Thanks, all!

Back