WLP500 my new favorite yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankusb

Reaction score
I've made cider with probably 10 or so yeasts so far and I have a new favorite. White Labs WLP500 is really nice, give it a try if you like Safale S04 or Nottingham Ale. It's similar to those 2 except it seems like it leaves more fruit flavor and produces less lees.

When I used to use wine/champagne yeast, it would finish extra dry. I started using wlp002 and would get sweeter results. I'd start at 1.05 and finish around 1.004-1.002. Have you used wlp002, and how does it compare to wlp500 in taste. My wife loves the ciders with 002 in it, but if a better flavor can be achieved through another yeast, I'm willing to try it.

I made a few gallon batches with WLP500 several years ago and liked it a lot. Aside from myself and one other friend, it didnt get much love, so I havent used it since, but its good to see that there are some other folks out there who like it.

I've used WLP002 and it is very similar to Notty. I think they might even be the same yeast, just in liquid vs dry form. If you like WLP500 over Notty, I'd suggest trying out Wy3056 and Wy3068. They are both very fruity

If you like Notty/WPL002, try BRY-97 and Brupaks

Latest posts

Back