WLP007 is my new house strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Strangely enough, I had never used WLP007 until just recently, but I think this my new house strain. Super versatile, reliable, and an amazing flocculator. It can do any British or American style, including small and big beers. How did I never use this yeast before?!

I hear a lot of love for this yeast from a lot of people, but I've never used it myself. For those that have used both, how similar is it to S-04? The problem is, S-04 bores me to tears. There's nothing wrong with it, really, it just seems that every beer I make with it seems to make me think "eh, not bad, but it could be so much better." It's not bad, it's just not good, either...it's just there.

I hear a lot of love for this yeast from a lot of people, but I've never used it myself. For those that have used both, how similar is it to S-04? The problem is, S-04 bores me to tears. There's nothing wrong with it, really, it just seems that every beer I make with it seems to make me think "eh, not bad, but it could be so much better." It's not bad, it's just not good, either...it's just there.

EDIT: Apparently, S-04 is equivalent to WLP007, not WLP002. My bad.

WLP002 is only similar to s-04/wlp007 in that it is a good flocculator. The flavor and fermentation characteristics are completely different.

Basically, wlp007 is the dry whitbread strain and s-04 is a dry whitbread too. Pretty much the same thing, though the wet strain is a bit more neutral when fermented cooler. Great strain if you want clean, clear beer, and not much going on in the flavor department.

+1 I use 007 for many of my beers, just the right balance of ester production and attenuation for my taste. If you want a clean American ale, lower your temps to 62-66,more ester formation for an English ale ferment between 66-68...Love 007!

Digging up a week old thread, but ya, count me in this boat. I use WLP007 for everything I can.

American ales: Ferment at 62-64* until fermentation slows, then rise to 72* to drive up attenuation. I can usually get the same levels of attenuation as 001/chico

British styles: Ferment at 66-68* and ride that temp until the yeast floc. It'll leave the OG a little higher and generate a little more esters.

I love it because it ferments fast, attenuates wells, and flocs out like peanut butter.

Ok...question

I've never used wlp007....but i'm going to be trying wyeast 1764 Rogue-Pacman

It has very similar info as wlp007

Med-high flocculation
78% attenuation
12% abv tolerance
neutral profile

Anyone compared the two to see how similar they are? Like or dislike

Back