Will my IBUs stay??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrK

Reaction score
I have a concern I'd like to talk about.

So a friend of mine was interested in brewing so I decided to do a batch with him. I brought some stuff to his condo, and decided to do a extract version for him. This batch is a Red Rye IPA, where the target IBU is suppose to be a mild 62.8.

I wasn't quite sure if his electric stove was going to heat 5 gallons of wort in my 15 gallon quarter inch pot, so i told him to put three gallons in and we'll be able to use two burners (my pot isn't small).

A couple other friends stopped by for a tick, and I asked one to measure three gallons for the boil. While they were talking, they added more like four. I blew it off, and started steeping and heating for the boil shortly after.

The problem was that his POS stove wouldn't heat my pot to a boil on two burners. It was late and I decided I had to take some wort out of the pot and it still didn't boil. I eventually had to take two other very small (maybe two qrts each) pots and boil them each, utilizing three pots on four burners while still having some wort set aside. I did the boil that night with most of the hops (about 1.75oz/3oz) in the two pots and the rest in the big pot with the temp on the bigger no more than 193 degrees F.

It's fermenting strong, the gravity is good, but will my IBUs stay since only half the hops had been boiled in about a gallon of wort? It'll be drinkable, but I'd love some reassurance.

Thanks for the read,
Terry

it will probably be fine. hops don't have to be boiled for bitterness to be extracted. i brewed a series of experimental beers that had no hops added at all during the boil, they all went in after flameout and the beers were plenty bitter.

The main issue with Ibus will be the dilution. If you have a pot with one gallon of water and 80 Ibus, and add four gallons of water as an example, the ibus will be diluted substantially.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The main issue with Ibus will be the dilution. If you have a pot with one gallon of water and 80 Ibus, and add four gallons of water as an example, the ibus will be diluted substantially.

Well, that is very helpful. I will be losing a little points there then.

Hops seem more and more like tea to me as time goes on.

The beer has a lot of different malts in there, so i think worse case scenario i'll have a decent beer with just a bit less hop kick.

Back