Will a yeast starter speed up the fermentation process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yea, my first post. Honestly, I’ve been lurking the boards and reading like a madman. But I can’t seem to find a post that addresses my question.

Will a yeast starter speed-up the fermentation process?

I made a nice Pale Ale that went into a secondary after seven days. Then once in the secondary all fermentation seemed to have stopped just three days later. I took a Gravity reading and it was at the FG: 1.015.

I read this post that talks about there won’t be any speed up process. Just curious….

Is that normal?

Making a starter will assure you that you have sufficient yeast to complete the fermentation without being stressed. You should reduce the lag time, the time where the yeast are propagating to increase their numbers. After that the yeast set their own schedule. You can slow them down (in general) by keeping the beer cooler or speed them up by warming it but that's about all you can do.

For proper brewing your primary fermentation should be all done before you rack to secondary and there should be no active ferment going on at all. This is the place that the yeast get to do their cleanup and settle out to make clearer beer. Just leave it alone for a few more days and then check the FG again to see if it has changed.

yes, but still give it atleast two weeks next time. You typically wont see much if any fermentation in secondary.

A larger starter will speed up fermentation, but there are definitely flavor differences between a regular pitch, an under pitch, and an over pitch of brew, and they will each run their own fermentation schedule

Awesome, thank-you guys. I’ve never waited to transfer. I’m still making ‘kits’ from various stores and I follow their timelines. But as I venture more and more into this...dare, I say obsession!? It helps to know to let the bubbling slow down....I’m always in a hurry to get to the finish line....

This will help me slow down..

Awesome, thank-you guys. I’ve never waited to transfer. I’m still making ‘kits’ from various stores and I follow their timelines. But as I venture more and more into this...dare, I say obsession!? It helps to know to let the bubbling slow down....I’m always in a hurry to get to the finish line....

This will help me slow down..

I wouldn't worry so much about transferring. Many people here just skip a secondary altogether (unless dry hopping or adding things like fruit or oak chips). You certainly don';t want to rack after a week.

Back