Wierd off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
So I brew a stone levitation ale clone and it tastes great but I'm getting a strange plastic flavor from it. I have no idea where this could be coming from. I don't filter my brewing water and just use what ever I get from my tap. I also fermented in a bucket. I know lots of people use them with no issues but could it be this.

Can you post up your recipe, your procedure (including temps), times for each step (fermentation, etc.) and your equipment? The more detail the more likely somebody can help you.

The easy question is: Are we talking about any old bucket you bought or is this food-grade?

Edit to add: Sorry to hear about the off flavor. I just kicked a keg of a Levitation clone and it was one of my favorite beers to-date. Love that stuff.

"Plastic" off flavors tend to come from chlorine in the brewing water.

Some water companies use chloramine, which doesn't boil off, and some still use chlorine. If you didn't treat for chlorine in your brewing water, this is probably where the plastic flavor (called chlorophenol) comes from.

Back