Speidel Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I discovered these things recently and I really like the idea of these things.

Here’s a question, if I use one of these as a second stage fermenter (without getting into the debate over use of secondary) do you think its reasonsble to bottle directly out of this without the need to transfer to a bottling bucket? It looks like the faucet opening sits up a bit above where any settled matter would be. But probably not enough to bottle straight from primary. I’m thinking that could eliminate a few steps and make life a little easier come bottling day.

Anybody doing this or even tried this? Sorry if this is a known thing and I’m just catching on.

Thanks

IMG_3411.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw a very old thread on here years ago when I was still a lurker where Speidel users were doing exactly that. I also recall a more recent thread where it was done in a speidel with a floating diptube and bulkhead-modded lid. I tried the search function here and couldn't find it easily, but if you dig through, I'm sure the threads are still here...this might work better:
https://duckduckgo.com/?va=k&t=hy&q=speidel+bottling+HBT+Homebrewtalk&ia=web
:mug:

I have been using this fermenter for about 7 years now. I do bottle directly from it with no issues.
Same here, and I love it. (I just brewed a cream ale today and put it in the Speidel a couple hours ago). In the past I've used a bottling bucket, but I mostly keg my beers now. Although for the coconut milk stout I brewed recently, after kegging I still had enough to fill two 22 oz bombers directly from the fermenter.

Here's an excellent add-on for the plastic Speidel fermenters. It's sold by HBT member @Jaybird at NorCal Brewing Solutions and it allows you to easily attach a blow off (to purge kegs with fermentation gas), and also to do oxygen-free pressure transfers when kegging. I bought one, used, from a fellow member here. It's awesome.

do you think its reasonable to bottle directly out of this without the need to transfer to a bottling bucket?
I am sure it will work fine. I often bottle directly from the spigot on my Fermonster fermenters, that is directly from primary fermentation and I tend to transfer quite a bit of trub into my fermenter.

I love these fermenters and have a number of NorCal add ons. I definitely recommend the upgrade to the stainless spigot: https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Fermenter-OEM-Stainless-Steel-Spigot.html

The standard spigot is too fat for normal tubing you probably use for bottling.

Adding gallon lines on the outside in marker also helped my sanity.
The silicone tubing I use fits over the standard spigot and perfectly on the bottling wand. I use a stainless wand.

Last edited:
I also used the 8ish gallon spiedel for years. I bought the thermowell adapter and screwed a cleanable half inch ball valve onto it for keg transfers or even bottling. I also adapted the top port to a keg post for pressure transfers. I recently upgraded to a stainless conical and have all of those parts if someone is interested.

Hi, I discovered these things recently and I really like the idea of these things.

Here’s a question, if I use one of these as a second stage fermenter (without getting into the debate over use of secondary) do you think its reasonsble to bottle directly out of this without the need to transfer to a bottling bucket? It looks like the faucet opening sits up a bit above where any settled matter would be. But probably not enough to bottle straight from primary. I’m thinking that could eliminate a few steps and make life a little easier come bottling day.

Anybody doing this or even tried this? Sorry if this is a known thing and I’m just catching on.

Thanks

View attachment 846156
I use this one and I always bottle directly out of primary. Cheers!

Same here, and I love it. (I just brewed a cream ale today and put it in the Speidel a couple hours ago). In the past I've used a bottling bucket, but I mostly keg my beers now. Although for the coconut milk stout I brewed recently, after kegging I still had enough to fill two 22 oz bombers directly from the fermenter.

Here's an excellent add-on for the plastic Speidel fermenters. It's sold by HBT member @Jaybird at NorCal Brewing Solutions and it allows you to easily attach a blow off (to purge kegs with fermentation gas), and also to do oxygen-free pressure transfers when kegging. I bought one, used, from a fellow member here. It's awesome.

Thank you! I am still using 1 as well for various things around the brewery and distillery.

Back