Why do folks brew 10 and 20 gal batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to scour the interwebs to find a good answer, and I’m sort of coming up short. My question as I start to buy more and more brew equipment I seem to not want to continue purchasing more-and-more. So, I’m sorry here’s my questions:

Why do folks brew 10 and 20 gallon batches?

I find it hard enough to get rid of 5 gallon batches and thought of scaling down to 3 gallon ones. I love to brew and brew day even if it takes five or six hours (usually it’s only four) are wonderful! But I guess I’m curious as to why folks make such large batches? I’d love to buy a kick ass RIMS or HERMS system...but again, I seem to be a 5 Gallon man. Thoughts, insights or comments?

Personally I do 10 gallon batches sometimes for a few reasons. The first is brew time is getting limited so its nice to make 10 gallons of a proven recipe if i know i will have a gap in my brew schedule. The other main reason is brewing for BBQs or other functions.

Less frequent brewing requires larger batches to keep a pipeline going (depending on consumption)

Larger batches take bigger equipment, but not more time, so you can double, triple, quadruple your beer production in a given brew day.

If you don't find yourself consuming that much beer, it's not really a big issue, but as far as I know you can brew 5 gallon batches in the 10-15 gallon systems just fine, you might need to move a thermometer or something. I think there's also some 5 gallon systems out there too.

I do large batches less often. I like to keep about 3 styles on tap and allow them to not be rushed. I don't always have time to brew, so its nice having a bunch of beer available without having to drink green beer.

I brew with a buddy sometimes, he does 10 gallon batches too. If he brews something different than me we sometimes swap a 5 gallon batch so we end up with two different types.
It's worked well the times we've done it.

I agree with the OP that brewing more than 5 gallons at a time really isn't something I'm interested in doing. I don't have large get-togethers often (if ever), and I don't plan on drinking myself into a stupor each night. Plus, this means that, should I want more beer on the shelf, I can try a larger variety of brews. I like knowing that a particular beverage will be tasty each and every time. However, I like to tinker and try new things even more. I'm looking forward to when I'll have a nice mix of miscellaneous brews that I can drink. A few from this case left, a few from that batch left, etc. If anything, I'd go smaller, just so I could try even more different recipes without making 2 cases of beer each time. I only have so many bottles!

I do 10-12 gal batches for experimenting with yeast or dry hopping. I will split the wort and pitch 2-3 different types of yeast. Or I will ferment the entire batch with a single yeast and split to dry hop. You can get 3 totally different beers from the same brew day. It also teaches me a lot about how minor changes can totally change the taste of the beer.

Like most other things in this hobby... personal preference.

5 Gal seems to be the sweet spot for me. I like brewing and I like playing with recipes and 5 Gal is a keg so it all works out well.

Sometimes when I hit "IT" like Ed Worts beecave, haus pale I wish I had 10 gallons! That one never sticks around long enough!

Another reason is the age you get on the second 5 gallons. You may have noticed that the last beers of a keg are always the best. This is because the beer has had more time to clear and age. Now imagine 5 more gallons of that!

I do 5 gallons, but I wish I could do a 10 gallon batch once in a while. My life is pretty busy, and I get less opportunities to brew than I'd like. Sometimes hard to keep the pipeline up.

I brew various size batches depending on the style and my intended outcome. I usually do ten gallon batches of lawnmower beers, because we seem to go through them quickly. And, sometimes I brew with a friend and we split the batch. As somebody else mentioned, it's nice to have another keg of that great beer standing by.

But, I also brew 5 gallon batches and 1.25 gallon batches pretty regularly. I really like to experiment with the smaller batches (which get bottled). If I didn't keg, I don't know if I'd do ten gallon batches.

There are numerous reasons to brew larger batches. I have several reasons and I'll try to list them.

1) My family and friends drink all my beer.

I made home brew as a holiday gift for family only. I gave away 15 of 30 gallons of beer brewed in November. I almost consistently give away half my beer. Even when I'm not giving it to family, I'm giving it away to neighbors, or trading it away to fellow brewers. Brewing a larger batch fills my 'orders' and allows me to have some as well.

2) I experiment a lot.

It's common for me to brew a single wort and pitch two different yeasts- or maybe dry hop version A and not dry hop version B. Larger batches allow me to experiment and not commit/ruin an entire batch. I can have my wheat beer and I can the same wort with a Belgian Saison yeast in a smaller batch and learn if the Saison yeast makes the beer better or worse. Or I can put some on oak, or age it, or whatever. It's not all or nothing. It's a little bit of this, a little bit of that- I can fool around and not risk everything. I've made as many as 5 different versions of a beer from a single wort.

3)I brew less often, which SAVES TIME.

Now an avid brewer would say why would you want to brew less? Well I have other hobbies, like building brewing gear.

My good friend brews 5 gallon batches and he gives away half his beer just like me. He brews every other weekend. He loves brewing, but says he wishes he had time to tweak his system- but he doesn't have the time because he's always brewing. LOL.

I haven't brewed since November- and my RIMS in box is almost done because I do have the time! I've been drinking home brew for months without brewing and instead I've been tinkering with brewing gear. I'm actually looking forward to getting the rig out because I want to fire this RIMS up and see what happens.

4)It saves me MONEY.

Homebrewers are notoriously cheap. All grain is less expensive than extract because grain costs less. Grain in bulk costs less than small quantities of grain. That is, 55 lbs bags cost less than say 5 lbs or 1 lbs bags of grain. I have three brewing friends and it's common for us to either buy 55 lbs bags or split bags two or three ways. These bulk buys lower my grain costs- which gives me more money to buy things like brew gear!

I'm sitting on maybe 170 pounds of grain, maybe 100 ounces of hops (home grown), and 15 gallons of home brew. That grain and hops will carry me through the year. I haven't touched my gear in four months. Maybe in April, I'll set up shop- I'll spin out four or five 10 gallon batches over the course of a month. I'll close up shop and drink all Spring/Summer. In the fall, I'll pull out the gear, shoot out maybe 6 10 gallon batches. That out to cover holiday gifts and Fall/Winter.

I have to say, when I'm sitting in my friends kitchen and he complains that never has enough home brew I say, "Brew more." And he says, "I do- every other weekend." And I say, "No man, brew larger batches." And he says, "I can't do that." And two weeks later- I'm sitting in his kitchen AGAIN- he's working his ass off- and I'm enjoying a beer I made months ago. For me, brewing 'large' (10 gallons batches- which isn't that large)- is brewing smart. It gives me time for things like- being lazy in my backyard.

I didn't read all the responses but I did a 10 gallon split batch and used two different yeasts. Both turned out great! Plus, you can do other variables that will affect one beer and keep the other as the control, that way you can really decide if what you did makes a difference or not and if you like it.

Between giving half my beer to my mom and dad, and the fact that my friends drink like I do, I might have to step up myself. I did 4 batches last spring, and was dry before summer was over. Unacceptable.

Wonderful responses everyone thank-you.

I just didn't want to continue to purchase more and more equipment if at the end of the day....10 or 20 was 'the way' to go. Now I realize various reasons for each. And in fact, some GREAT reason's listed here. Again, thank-you...I'll continue to lurk in the background.

Brewing outside in the winter is not that great fun
28 gallons brewed in november and if i give away more now i risk running dry:cross:
I dont plan to brew that much next time sinse i miss the variety of new brews to try

I am happy with 2.75 gallon batches. I don't drink too much, don't give too much away, and I like variety. I can also brew on my stove (gas included in rent) which makes things cheaper.

I have recently decided to start doing 10 gallon batches because the 5 gallon batches go quicker than expected, :drunk: out in my shop with two buddys we drank a 5 gallon batch in two evenings working on a car. My keggles are 15.5 so i should have no problem. I hope.

I’ve been trying to scour the interwebs to find a good answer, and I’m sort of coming up short. My question as I start to buy more and more brew equipment I seem to not want to continue purchasing more-and-more. So, I’m sorry here’s my questions:

Why do folks brew 10 and 20 gallon batches?

I find it hard enough to get rid of 5 gallon batches and thought of scaling down to 3 gallon ones. I love to brew and brew day even if it takes five or six hours (usually it’s only four) are wonderful! But I guess I’m curious as to why folks make such large batches? I’d love to buy a kick ass RIMS or HERMS system...but again, I seem to be a 5 Gallon man. Thoughts, insights or comments?

I have four taps, and summer is a very very busy period for us socially. Lots of birthdays and celebrations (summer is also christmas/new year etc)

Coming up to summer I was fermenting double singles at the same time in my ferm fridge and brewing every other weekend to try to build up my supply. It takes me pretty much 3-4 weeks to fully ferment, condition and carbonate a batch of ale, so that was an intense period.

Now, after my birthday party the other day I have 5 empty kegs! and just two mostly empty kegs left!!!

I've just brewed a 60L batch (triple) and will be brewing another 60L batch next week. That means I can ferment out the whole batch in the 3-4 weeks rather than 2 20L batches, which means more beer, and after the various parties, I know which beers to make triple batches out of...

60L is a 15G batch

Now if ony I can build up my stocks again by easter!

Helps that my wife got me a 26G (98L) pot for Christmas :)

Latest posts

Back