White Stout Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
I had a recipe idea for a white stout but I don't know how to get those stout flavors without the roasted grains. I going to start with a very simple pale ale recipe and then add the stout flavors through other means. It just going to be pale malt and a bit of carafoam, a touch of cascade at 60 but no thing else in the boil till after the boil. Going to do a hop stand with mosaic and dry hop with mosaic and a bit of citra. The idea behind this is to make a beer that has coffee notes with notes of berry. I love coffee from Africa because they tend to have that citrus and berry flavor notes in the finished product that is the inspiration to this beer.

Roasting is an indication of a process that darkens the malt or grains. Not sure how you'd get those flavors without roasting, unless some sort of flavor extraction process is used that transfers no or only little color.

I've had coffee IPAs and they were quite pale, just like regular IPAs. I guess they used an extract of some sort.

I brewed a batch of Blonde Stout recently with my daughter. We used fresh cocoa nibs from a local chocolate maker in secondary and added some fresh cold brew coffee when we kegged.
Plenty of roasted and chocolate flavor without much impact on color.
I did use some flaked oats for more body and head retention.

So does the cold brew add a ton of color to the beer? How much did you add to get the flavor that you achieved. Also what is your cold brew stepping process?

Last edited:
I did a golden stout last year. I made a tincture of cacao nibs soaked in vodka added along with whole coffee beans(drybeaning) in a secondary keg for a few days.
Members of my club said I nailed it

So does the cold brew add a ton of color to the beer? How much did you add to get the flavor that you achieved. Also what is your cold brew stepping process?

No it did not add much color at all. I added 14 oz to six gallons when I kegged. I use 3 gal kegs.
As for my method I used an OXO cold brew system and freshly ground single source Guatemalan coffee.

found a recipe that called for 16 oz of whole coffee beans and 6 oz of cacao nibs. I would definitely like to have the balance of the beer to lean more towards the roasty side of things go move coffee, I think would be better I think.

So this is what I got so far,

4lb 4oz Maris Otter
5.5oz Carafoam
.25oz cascade
.50oz mosaic @ whirlpool 20 min
.50oz mosaic @ dry hop 7 days

I'm thinking im going to add a bit more cascade at 60 to help with the balance of the beer but it should end at 1.010 leaving it kind of dry.

I made a white stout a few months back and used cocoa nibs and whole coffee beans in secondary. Didn't really change the color at all. Maybe add some lactose as well.

Why are you guys calling these "Stouts." All you use is coffee and cocoa nibs, no roasted malts or grains, which are flavors integral to Porters and Stouts. Shouldn't they be rather called Chocolate Coffee IPA, Chocolate Coffee Blonde, Chocolate Coffee Golden Ale, etc.?

Exactly! My daughter and I were experimenting with a new style. One that has several commercial versions available. The idea being to experiment with new ways to achieve the flavors of one style in something totally opposite.

Thanks for your input islandlizard, very helpful. So, I got the base for this beer going. I'm doing 3 gallon batches so I'm only putting in 8oz of whole coffee beans in after fermentation as a dry hop and im going to soak the cacao nibs in vodka and add it to taste at the end.

I'd crack those coffee beans coarsely for better and faster extraction. Same for the cocoa nibs, like little 1/8" chunks.

Looking back at my notes, I added about 13% flaked oats, 6% flaked barley, & about 2.5% Crystal 10. I used more traditional stout hops. Nugget & Fuggles. Again, I used cold brew coffee at kegging. It’s easier to control the taste. I didn’t soak my cocoa nibs since they were fresh & there was sufficient alcohol present in the beer.

So the base beer is done for this bad boy. Its really bland right now but I'm hoping that with the additions of coffee and cacao nibs it will liven up this beer a bit. I did 12oz of whole bean coffee because in going short on the steep time. Only going to soak the beans for only 3 days. Im going to add the tincture that I made out of the cacao nibs and vodka during bottling so that I can control how much of the chocolate flavor that I get in the finished beer.

How did you flavors turn out with that much coffee? I have a beer I was going to add whole beans too but was just thinking 6-8oz for 48 hours. I also want to roast some cacao nibs (maybe 4oz) to add as well (maybe 4-5 days) and a small amt of coconut

Keep in mind that in the original English lexicon the term "Stout" was used to mean strong. It had nothing to do with color or flavor.
That's a good one!
As long as we also keep in mind that in today's world, at least since the 1930s, Stouts refer to a certain style in context with beer. And all those are roasty and very dark.

Latest posts

Back