Which hops to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybox

Reaction score
I have a pale ale recipe I really like. I've made it with 100% Citra hops and 100% Cascade hops to great effect. It's based off EdWort's Haus Pale.

I'd like to make this again, and this time I've pooled with a friend to buy a variety of hops from hopsdirect, so I have a few to choose from. Rather than stick with a single hop, I was thinking about blending, and I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations on what to use for bittering and flavor/aroma.

Here's the Citra hop variation for a 5.25 gal batch:
8lb Maris Otter
2lb Vienna
8oz Crystal 10
.25oz Citra [15.6%] - FWH 60 Minutes
.25oz Citra [15.6%] - 30 minute
.25oz Citra [15.6%] - 5 minute
.25oz Citra [15.6%] - 0 minute
2.0oz Citra [15.6%] - Dry hop 7 days.
That's a great pale ale that runs low on bitterness at ~30 IBU's, and OG of about 1.052, and a nice smooth hoppiness and aroma.

I've got 6 choices to substitute for hops and/or mix and match. I've got:
  • Centennial [9.4%]
  • Cluster [8.0%]
  • Legacy [7.3%]
  • Cascade [7.2%]
  • Magnum US [12.6%]
  • Super Galena [12.0%]

I admit we picked the hops somewhat at random based on description. I was thinking about using Magnum or S.Galena as a bittering addition and then a mixture of 1-3 of the first 4 for the latter additions.

Any advice on which of these hops play well together (or more importantly, which don't)?

Just bottled an IPA with
Citra
Cascade
Pacific jade
The flavor/aroma/bitterness was extraordinary.

Alright. Centennial/Cascade seems to be the knockout contender. But I'm also considering Centennial/Legacy.

I guess this is a "Please review my recipe" thread now:
Recipe 1: Centennial/Legacy said:
19 lb Maris Otter
5lb Vienna
2lb Crystal 20L
1lb Cara-Pils
1oz Magnum FWH @ 60Min
0.25 Centennial FWH @ 60Min
0.25 Legacy FWH @ 60Min
0.25 Centennial @ 20Min
0.25 Legacy @ 20 Min
0.50 Centennial @ 5Min
0.50 Legacy @ 5Min
1oz Centennial @ 0Min
1oz Legacy @ 0Min
Using Centennial/Cascade instead of the Centennial/Legacy lowers the IBU's slightly.

Specifically I have 2 concerns:
1) I changed from Crystal 10L to Crystal 20L for better color. What effect will this have on the flavor?
2) I added 1lb of Cara-Pils/Dextrine to increase my head retention. Assuming I mash low (to counteract any sweetness), is this too much?

Recipe is for a 12gal batch, hoping to put 10gal in bottles.

1. Not much. C20L is a little more caramel than C10L, but it might not be noticeable unless you already know that you did it.

2. All crystal malts should increase head retention. You could just roll it all into C20L. Or you might substitute wheat for the CaraPils to lighten your beer without sweetness and mash at 152 degF (I'm assuming that "low" = 148 degF).

Back