When to cold crash belgian dubbel with WYEAST 3787

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob_Brewer

Reaction score
So this is the first time Ive used WYEAST 3787. Had a volcanic fermentation initially but increased temps from 65-70 1 degree per day and that krausen was huge. Since this is first time using this yeast, I used my Tilt Hydrometer to let me know based on trends when it finished. See attached. it hasn't wavered from 1.010-1.009 in two full days now and you could make the case it was "done" 4 days ago when it was 1.011-1.010 (at this time all airlock ceased and beer started to clear with no visible yeast movement). Given the manufacturers precision states its +/- 0.002 gravity points, it hasn't wavered more than 0.001 point in a in several days. So at this point, I would normally start cold crashing tomorrow for a couple of days in preparation for kegging based on the Tilt, and most other classic signs that it is done. However, the krausen, while almost gone is still present just a little bit and still falling out. So, Im really not in a big rush considering Im only at day 9, but the conflicting info telling me its done (Tilt and no visible swimmers, and zero airlock activity for a few days), the little bit of krausen has me questioning whether I should start the cold crash tomorrow or wait a little longer. Thoughts?

Belgian Dubbel Wyeast 3787.jpg

On the up side, 3787 isn't known to be a diastaticus (STA1 expressive) strain, and assuming you didn't dry hop your dubbel hop creep is unlikely.
That said, the remaining krausen indicates there's still some activity that may not shift gravity enough to measure, but it's likely beneficial this early in the process.

I'd give it a few more days...

Cheers!

3787 is a fussy yeast. Leave it warm for another 3-4 days before even thinking about chilling it down. It doesn't look flatlined yet. It's still very very slowly fermenting down and will probably continue for at least another day or two, maybe more. I've been burned by this yeast before, bottled when I thought it was done but then the bottles were all gushers.

All great points @day_trippr and @dmtaylor ! Thanks. No I didn't dry hop this bad boy (didn't know people actually did that with dubbels lol). Reality is that if I didn't have the Tilt in the fermenter and was just going by the signs of fermentation, I wouldn't even think of cold crashing just yet because there is a little krausen left. Also agree that just because the Tilt may not change, it doesn't mean that gravity can't change especially if that change is within the tilt's measurement error (+/- 2 points). So Ill wait, no biggie for me. Ive come this far with this beer to blow it now due to impatience lol. Just haven't seen krausen stick around this long after other signs of fermentation are done.

Cheers!

I certainly was lol but wasn’t very confident in that decision with the data/info I had at hand. Hence the post seeking input from more experienced peeps. Thanks again.

I brewed a dubbel with 3787 last weekend. I thought something went wrong when I had NO airlock activity after 24 hours. Turns out I didn't secure the fermentation bucket lid all the way around, and a similarly "volcanic" fermentation was spilling out on the back side! I secured the lid down, and I had wort in my airlock within hours.

I always figured when the airlock stops bubbling, fermentation's done. So I should additionally monitor the krausen and wait till that's gone? That Tilt gadget sounds cool, but way overkill for this country boy.

Latest posts

Back