When do you add malto dextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han_Solo

Reaction score
Trying my third brew ever (English IPA). Not to sure as to when I should be adding the malto dextrin (in fact it's not even on the recipe sheet from my local brew store, but they gave it to me when I asked for the recipe).

Any wise words from more experienced brewers?

I wouldn't use it at all in an English IPA.

But if you feel that you must use it, you could add it to the boil or add it at bottling- it doesn't matter.

Yooper said:
I wouldn't use it at all in an English IPA.

But if you feel that you must use it, you could add it to the boil or add it at bottling- it doesn't matter.

Excellent. Thanks for the tip.

Any reason for not using dextrin in this style of beer?

Excellent. Thanks for the tip.

Any reason for not using dextrin in this style of beer?

Maltodextrine is a "thickener" like for puddings and other food items. It might be ok if you want a full thick mouthfeel in a beer, but an English IPA is pretty quaffable and not thick feeling.

I've used Cooper's enhancer1 with only 20% maltodextrin in the 500g total. It does add some body,or mouth feel,to beers that are a bit light. I still have a pound or so I haven't used. I've been playing around with hops & malts to get a crisp sort of bite to my ales,somewhat like lagers have. Just need some new stove burners or a turkey burner to get a good boil to proceed with getting that crispness.

Yeah, if your beer is fine without it I would skip it entirely. When I have a questionably watery beer (in a test batch) I will add the maltodextrin but why thicken up a good beer with it?

Back