What's your ideal flight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlmostWitty

Reaction score
Homebrewed over 100 gallons of beer to this point, and it's to the point that family and friends wonder what's so special about home brewing.

What would your ideal flight of 4 or 5 homebrews be to introduce them into what makes brewing your own beer so special?

For the record, of the beers I've made, or plan to make, would be:

1) Ginger Lemon Wheat - even non beer drinkers love it, then ask me why.
2) MO/fuggle SMaSH - to give them a familiar follow up, but with the baseline flavors so that can be followed up by...
3) Extra Special Bitter - made of MO/crystal malt, Willamette/fuggle hop so that they can appreciate the additional ingredients.
4) American Porter - start a conversation about 2 row and roasted malts
5) American parti-gyle Centennial IPA - hey, some people like hops.

Bonus round for the brave: Oaked Barleywine as the first runnings of the parti-gyle to discuss aging, oak, and because by this point, they deserve some extra ABV after dealing with me...

If we're talking about friends/family that know *something* about beer, I'd go for beers that are like the beer they buy in the store, but different.

I'd probably go for:

1) Low-ABV Saison or Patersbier. Shows that you can make 5 gallons of delicious beer just like the stuff that comes in those $8 large-format bottles.
2) I like my Rye Pale Ale recipe. Everyone knows pale ale, but the rye gives it a new element that they might not have had before without being a "weird" homebrew.
3) Milk Stout. Delicious. Crowd-pleaser. And not all that easy to find on the shelf at the store.
4) A *good* blonde ale. It seems most commercial blonde ales exist to have something to please the "what's your lightest beer" crowd. Make one with some flavor.
5) A *fresh* IPA. When they ask you why it's so great, you have two answers. First, you brewed it! Second, it's fresher than most of the beer they buy in the store, and you're helping them understand a lesson about beer and freshness that they can take with them.

For beer noobs, it would be Saaz blonde, KY Common, Wit, American Brown and APA

For me, my homebrew flight is Tangerine APA, Cascadian dark ale, DIPA and robust porter

Back