What would You do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collinsDPT

Reaction score
I have my first-ever brew (Autumn Amber kit from MWS) sitting in the primary bucket. It is currently on day 6 and I have not taken any FG readings. I want to start my next brew (Pumpkin Ale kit from MWS) on thursday so that it can get going and will be ready to drink by a party I am having in early November.

The problem is, I only have one fermentation bucket and one 5-gal glass carboy at my disposal.

These are my options, what would you do?:

#1) Move the Amber to the carboy and use the bucket for the Pumpkin
#2) Leave the Amber in the bucket and use the carboy as the primary fermenter for the Pumpkin
#3) Buy a 2nd carboy
#4) Buy a 2nd bucket
#5) Something I havent thought of

Obviously, I would rather NOT buy more equipment (more-so because I am running out of space to store it!). I dont want to completely sacrifice my Amber just to get the Pumpkin going, but I also really need to start the Pumpkin this week!

Help!

I would be tempted to move it to the secondary, if its been fermenting well surely its pretty much ready anyway? Though only having enough fermenters for one batch does seem silly, your always going to want to get that next one going!

Gently rack to the carboy; Start another batch in your primary; then, at some early future date, buy another primary (either pail or BetterBottle).

Take a gravity reading today, take one Thursday. They might very well match, and your fermentation could likely be done. Either way, rack it to the secondary for a week or two and free up your bucket. If fermentation isn't fully complete, it will have time to finish up. If it is complete, the yeast will have time to clean up after themselves and you'll get a better beer.

What about transferring to the carboy, but transferring the trub along with it so that it's essentially still a primary fermentation?

Unless you plan to leave batch #1 in the fermenter for months on end, there is no need to move it until fermentation is done.

Buy two more buckets so you can have three brews going at the same time.. Makes it much easier to let them sit long enough and helps build a nice pipeline.

Latest posts

Back