What the hell is happening here (slushy beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerHarley

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer with eight kegs in it. Works great, I keep it at 41F. I went to pour a beer out of one of my pale ale kegs and it seemed stuck. So I pop the top and notice that the beer is all slushy, like a slurpee. I immediately thought that maybe my temp control was bad so I cracked the top of a couple other kegs to check. All were normal, including the other keg of the same beer. To make matters even more weird, this keg was in the middle of the freezer, where it isn't touching a wall or surrounded by ice, as some of the other kegs are.

I took it out and let it sit in the room last night, and will take all the kegs out and get rid of the ice, clean lines, etc today. But I have no idea what the deal is.

The only other difference is that I dry hopped this keg with some pellet hops in a bag soaked in sanistar. But that isn't in there anymore and it wasnt frozen when it was in.

Do you have a fan in your freezer? Sounds like you need to make sure the air in there is circulating. This will ensure a consistent temp through out, with no cold/warm spots.

How are you measuring the temp inside your keezer? Just by the controller display? Try placing some analog thermometers in different areas of the compartment and see what the temps are in different areas. Measure this over the course of a few days to check for cycles. I always keep an analog thermometer in a glass of water somewhere in my kegerator just for redundancy.

Back