What recipes are you brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you get your recipes?

• Homebrew kits

• Online sources

• Homebrewing publications

• Your own creations

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cellarbrau

Reaction score
Ok, I was just wondering what people are brewing. Are you typically using kits, recipes from the 'net, recipes from books or magazines or ones you've created yourself?

Been doing my own recipes since batch two. Ill look around for ideas, but I haven't followed a straight recipe since my first brew.

Monstar said:
Been doing my own recipes since batch two. Ill look around for ideas, but I haven't followed a straight recipe since my first brew.

Same here, and all grain since batch one.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

I usually find a recipe online that I like and modify it slightly based on what I like and what I have on hand.

I do a mix. I almost never buy kits anymore, since I have a basement full of grain, but I often look at recipes here on the forum to get ideas or when I try a beer that I love I go to the brewery's website to get an idea of the ingredients.

I usually have a pretty good idea of what I want, though, so I am more likely to create my own recipe unless it's a style I'm not proficient with like a dopplebock or another style that I make rarely.

As Gordon Strong says extract is like making kool-aid. Don't mean to offend but after my first brew I thought there's got to be more and have been AG since. I'm new to craft beer so I try and stick close to recipes but I'll add my flare to it if need be. I've get more original with every batch.

For most of my recipes, I just start off with a very basic grain bill as per How To Brew's section on recipe creation and a very simple hopping schedule as well. After that batch is finished, I look to ways to improve the recipe next time around. I will brew a clone here and there, but more often than not I end up changing the recipes slightly to more of my liking.

I have yet to buy a kit since all my grain and hops are bought in bulk.

Mostly my own recipes. If it is a style that I have never done before, then I will read through the recipe section of this forum and either just try a recipe that has good feedback or make my own using the info I gather about that style from other recipes.

One of my favorite things about brewing is making up a recipe that is all your own.

Back