What parts can I harvest from an old oven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foodplusbeer

Reaction score
My parents are getting rid of an old electric oven with the coiled burners on the range. Are there any parts that I can take off and use to build an electric brew kettle, or high powered electric burner?

Temp controller, heating elements (oven and range), metal racks, dials? What is worth saving?

Save the infinite switches (the parts that the burner knobs are connected to). You can use those to control hot water heater elements for a brew kettle.

Save the infinite switches (the parts that the burner knobs are connected to). You can use those to control hot water heater elements for a brew kettle.

Be very careful with the ratings on those, as a hot water heater element can be much larger than they were designed to drive I think.

Save the power cord and scrap the rest. The infinite switches from the burners could be useful on a smaller watt element for a Rims set up, or any other element rated under 2000 watts.

I'm using two of the switches to run elements in my e-kettle. The switches usually have their rating on the back, so you can size an appropriate element. I was able to set mine up with two 2000w elements. Works really well!

Back