What is going on with my WY2565?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXjayhawk

Reaction score
I bought the ingredients for my Kolsch from AHS, including the Wyeast 2565. They had to ship the yeast separately and they shipped on a Friday. Well, it sat in a HOT warehouse all weekend (ordered back in October and Texas had some warm spells). So I made a starter and pitched the starter. I left the wort alone for 2 weeks and then checked the gravity...it was 1030. Huh? Oh great, I had a stuck fermentation and planned to go to my LHBS to pick up another smack pack. About 4-5 days went by before I was able to pitch this new smack pack. The gravity was now 1020, so the original yeast were still doing their job, just very slowly. So I re-pitched the new smack pack. It is now sitting at 1012 and when I checked this, it had a nice thick, foamy krausen. I have a hard time believing it is still fermenting. Also it had a winey, medicinal taste...not what I was expecting. Any insights on this beer and its fermentation? I kept the temp between 62-65 degrees.

Thanks.

It could be a combination of things. But it's far far too early to worry about them. Let the yeast finish fermenting and drop out of suspension. You could consider transferring to secondary if your gravity is low enough. There might be an issue with unhealthy, dead yeast giving off some flavors.

Back