What do you make of this Washington DC water quality report?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainbutter

Reaction score
To keep things short:

I'm going to be giving all-grain a try. Up until now, using water that was chlorine/chloramine free and tasted great yielded delicious results with extracts/partial grain batches.

I've read "How to Brew" and understand that minerals can be an essential part of the mash process, but am unsure of 1) how much I can ignore water reports and use water that is chlorine/amine free 2) if I needed to make water adjustments with tap or store bought water, what part of water quality I should try to control.

Here's a PDF I found with a 2015 DC area water quality analysis. My understanding is that they do often change up how they disinfect the water supply, and some of the measurements may change seasonally.

https://www.dcwater.com/waterreport

For those of you who are water chemistry junkies, what do you think?

For my first all grain batch, should I even pay attention to water quality beyond "does it taste good"?

TY for any feedback!

To keep things short:

I'm going to be giving all-grain a try. Up until now, using water that was chlorine/chloramine free and tasted great yielded delicious results with extracts/partial grain batches.

I've read "How to Brew" and understand that minerals can be an essential part of the mash process, but am unsure of 1) how much I can ignore water reports and use water that is chlorine/amine free 2) if I needed to make water adjustments with tap or store bought water, what part of water quality I should try to control.

Here's a PDF I found with a 2015 DC area water quality analysis. My understanding is that they do often change up how they disinfect the water supply, and some of the measurements may change seasonally.

https://www.dcwater.com/waterreport

For those of you who are water chemistry junkies, what do you think?

For my first all grain batch, should I even pay attention to water quality beyond "does it taste good"?

TY for any feedback!

it's pretty good. you need to pay attention to Ca (37 ppm), Sulfates (43 ppm), Chloride (53), and bicarbonates - I couldn't find it in the report, but alkalinity is 65, which is moderate. Everything else seems pretty good. You can easily tweak this water with some modest additions of gypsum and CaCl2.
Make sure to run your water through carbon filter to get rid of chlorine and other impurities.

Latest posts

Back