What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calamari steak, keto style - breaded with crushed spicy pork rinds and Parm cheese, then panfried in butter/olive oil; and riced cauliflower with butter and the pan drippings from the calamari. Homemade tartar sauce and a glass of chardonnay. DANG good!View attachment 610713

The very first (and only) time I ever had calamari was in 1989 at a restaurant in Charleston, SC. It was an 8oz steak that was melt in your mouth delicious and I have not been able to find it since.

8362BE91-FD5A-4494-833D-CE4F5EC7878A_zpshgp5mpo2.jpg

Spaghetti alla chitarra with San Marzano tomatoes, parm, whipped ricotta, chives.

Came across a recipe for adobo-style chicken seasoning on the interwebz. Whipped up a batch, and I've been putting it thru it's paces.

Tried it out today for the first time on chicken legs (prior efforts were wings). Originally intended to fire up the grill, but the weather people predict we're in for rain.

Had I known the rain predicted to be here this morning wouldn't fall until the late p.m., I would've cooked these over charcoal, but no dice. Oven was pressed into service.

Showing my work:

Before:

DEbg4Oq.jpg

After (AC Rojo sauce on top row, Frank's wing sauce on bottom row):

w1pRzGm.jpg

Verdict: I think this might be my fav spice rub for chicken. Paired nicely with the Franks sauce, and was unbelievably good with the AC Rojo.

I could probably stand to dial back on the salt in the rub just a little bit in future batches, but that's a minor nitpick. The overall flavor, tho, was very, very nice.

Glad I made an entire pack, so now I have lunch for the week, or at least for a couple of days.

@LakesideBrewing,

So I finally went and looked this up. I had no idea what a chitarra was! Pretty cool. Did you make your own pasta and do you have a chitarra, did you make one, or did you just buy the spaghetti?

I usually do make most of the pasta that I cook, and post here, with a few exceptions. The chitarra being one of the exceptions. Luckily I have a really amazing store around me that imports pastas from all over Italy. This one comes from Abruzzo and uses durum wheat flour, so it has a beautiful, almost nutty quality to it. When cooked it gets a little thicker than spaghetti so it can hold up to many different sauces, like a meat ragu, or a simple tomato sauce. I’m a sucker for a thick pasta! Cheers!

I usually do make most of the pasta that I cook, and post here, with a few exceptions. The chitarra being one of the exceptions. Luckily I have a really amazing store around me that imports pastas from all over Italy. This one comes from Abruzzo and uses durum wheat flour, so it has a beautiful, almost nutty quality to it. When cooked it gets a little thicker than spaghetti so it can hold up to many different sauces, like a meat ragu, or a simple tomato sauce. I’m a sucker for a thick pasta! Cheers!
Need the name of that store sir :)

I'm too lazy to make my own pasta. But I always/only buy the expense imported pastas from the region the recipe is from. It is about 2-4x more expensive than the cheap pasta, but that isn't saying much when cheap pasta is 0.79/lb.

I'm too lazy to make my own pasta. But I always/only buy the expense imported pastas from the region the recipe is from. It is about 2-4x more expensive than the cheap pasta, but that isn't saying much when cheap pasta is 0.79/lb.

I do make pasta of all kinds. I have some machines to do it, but you can do a lot without machines. Watch this guy for inspiration (he does sheet pasta with a machine, and he does have a guitar for making chitarra like lakeside posted above). It's a very good video that I'm sure will give some ideas to foodies here.

I can't stop thinking about a pasta extruder. I've heard they don't work but I can't see why not. And I have heard reports that they do work. I think people go wrong trying to put too much in at once? Basically I think you stick little balls of dough in.

Thanks for that video passedpawn, can't wait to get home and watch it. I saw a video of a guy making pasta by hand and with the machine from a kitchen in Italy that I will try to find and post later. He rolled the dough out starting with a small ball until it was translucent. Then this is the part that I thought was so interesting. He folded it up like a deli meat roll and cut it perpendicular to the length. This way he could cut it really thin. Kind of like making a tortilla pinwheel or cinnamon rolls. Regardless of thickness I think this is a good method for cutting the pasta by hand. Now I am on a mission to find out what chitara is, man this thread is cool. As well as the amazing people in it.

I can't stop thinking about a pasta extruder. I've heard they don't work but I can't see why not. And I have heard reports that they do work. I think people go wrong trying to put too much in at once? Basically I think you stick little balls of dough in.

Thanks for that video passedpawn, can't wait to get home and watch it. I saw a video of a guy making pasta by hand and with the machine from a kitchen in Italy that I will try to find and post later. He rolled the dough out starting with a small ball until it was translucent. Then this is the part that I thought was so interesting. He folded it up like a deli meat roll and cut it perpendicular to the length. This way he could cut it really thin. Kind of like making a tortilla pinwheel or cinnamon rolls. Regardless of thickness I think this is a good method for cutting the pasta by hand. Now I am on a mission to find out what chitara is, man this thread is cool. As well as the amazing people in it.

I have an extruder and it does work. In fact (!!!), I'm making elbow macaroni this evening in preparation for some delish pork belly mac&cheez this wkend. My youngest is coming home tonight (wife is en route) and it's his fave. Cheese by yours truly, belly cured by same. If you want some pics, I'll take them and post here.

I have an extruder and it does work. In fact (!!!), I'm making elbow macaroni this evening in preparation for some delish pork belly mac&cheez this wkend. My youngest is coming home tonight (wife is en route) and it's his fave. Cheese by yours truly, belly cured by same. If you want some pics, I'll take them and post here.
No one wants pics, they want to eat that **** with you and your family. #savemeaseat

In fact...

upload_2019-2-8_22-5-49.png

Hell yeah we want picks that sounds amazing. Homecured pork belly with homemade cheese and homemade noodles, wow! Glad you get some time with the youngest, seems so far away but so close for me.

Those look awesome, would you reccomend? Btw, the cheese making doesnt stop calling to me. Can you help me with mozz, there are so many techniques I dont know where to begin and the kids arent into queso blanco yet.
I fail at mozz unless I do it the easy way, with citric acid. Have you looked into that method?

Yes, the citric acid, its the heating part. I think I saw a recipe for a microwave method? Speaking of microwave, this is my second microwave cake. Honestly it's really good. I mean it was a box cake mix anyways. This is only half the bag. So one bag makes two of these, and they are plenty fluffy if you think about how big it is. If you were to level two of these and stack'em, you would be on your way to a killer cake. You put water, two eggs, oil and mix to the lines and then dump it in and microwave it.
20190209_000242.jpeg

Hambone soup. Pressure cooker at highest psi for 60 minutes. Used sear function to sear jalopeno, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and mini potatoes. Also seared bone to start and removed it before searing other ingredients. After it got done I pulled the bone, removed all the meat, and took out all fat/hard stuff and added meat back.
20190209_122711.jpeg
20190209_124252.jpeg

Those look awesome, would you reccomend? Btw, the cheese making doesnt stop calling to me. Can you help me with mozz, there are so many techniques I dont know where to begin and the kids arent into queso blanco yet.

I have not done mozzarella yet. It’s described as a beginner Cheese but general consensus at the cheese forum is that it is not. Andrew knows a lot more than I. There’s more than just queso blanco you can do though. No idea what your kids would like but fresh cheeses are usually bland, but you can augment even fresh cheeses with additions like chilies. Herbs, etc., that make them more interesting. I’m still going to have a go at mozz, but not till I order the gloves when I order more cultures (and maybe that awesome mold that Andrew just used).

I have not done mozzarella yet. It’s described as a beginner Cheese but general consensus at the cheese forum is that it is not. Andrew knows a lot more than I. There’s more than just queso blanco you can do though. No idea what your kids would like but fresh cheeses are usually bland, but you can augment even fresh cheeses with additions like chilies. Herbs, etc., that make them more interesting. I’m still going to have a go at mozz, but not till I order the gloves when I order more cultures (and maybe that awesome mold that Andrew just used).
I've made mozzarella and it is not as easy as they say. I think you should work the curd when is softer than what they describe. Mine always came out harder than I like.

I posted some gloves that are suitable for making mozz here: Gloves for making mozzarella, from Home Depot. I haven't tried them myself (got mine from cheesemaking supply site) but these looked pretty nice. You can get citric acid at local stores, and if you go that route you can make it very easily (it will stretch awesome). The only downside is it's kinda bland tasting.

I'll post some notes on making mozz on our cheese area. I have a process that I can guarantee will work, but you'll need those gloves.

Was cleaning out the pantry today and came across an item I did not buy - coconut oil. Wife bought it with good intentions but as usual it’s not going to get used.

Is there anything this stuff is good for? I couldn’t find a recipe where it wasn’t just a replacement for butter.

Latest posts

Back