What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no tips to offer for cornbread. I usually get it premade, though it’s an easy “quick bread” and when one makes their own it’s never too sweet, right?

huh, doing chili tomorrow with first time making cornbread hopefully turns out good.
KIMG0743.JPG
and in the belly. Of course sour dough bread would be great. Poor man's corn bread with citrus made honey. Good to have been keeper friends.

Monday night I made a really quick batch of posole with half of a chunk of pork shoulder that was good enough that my wife asked me to make posole with the rest of the pork, but slowly, like normal.
Tonight I made curried lamb balls. I usually serve it over quinoa but my wife prefers rice so I generously allowed her to have rice instead of quinoa.
20231101_193531.jpg

Definitely some good looking dishes! I think I’ve been to enough O-fests to hold me for a while.
IMG_2273.jpeg

Sunday brunch with leftover chicken schnitzel and potato in the egg and Nuremberg brats with sourdough toast.
IMG_0213.jpeg
Beef stew, yellow carrots looking bland but it was tasty And satisfying.

Q for those who make 'English Muffins'

I see some recipes note to cook them on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet or griddle, and others are oven baked. Preferences to either method, and noticeable end results differences of the two methods?

I'm just starting my bread making journey given successes with my initial tries making soda bread. Hoping 'English Muffins' are too big of a next step to make given my other cooking/smoking/brewing experience.

Q for those who make 'English Muffins'

I see some recipes note to cook them on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet or griddle, and others are oven baked. Preferences to either method, and noticeable end results differences of the two methods?

I'm just starting my bread making journey given successes with my initial tries making soda bread. Hoping 'English Muffins' are too big of a next step to make given my other cooking/smoking/brewing experience.
I don’t know who else is making them, but I use a dry frying pan on the stovetop. Medium flame.
Edit: Let me add that I have a cover and use it.

Last edited:
first attempt at homemade English Muffins

I made use of the Yogurt mode on the Insta Pot to proof the dough

1700081924038.png

1700081958810.png

cut the rounds, then let them rise a bit before pan grilling

1700082012041.png

1700082055001.png

1700082098481.png

paired perfectly with some of the peach jam I made this summer

1700082139776.png

I'll proof longer next time as I feel the dough could benefit from some additional yeast activity. I'll also press out thicker, and keep the rounds in their muffin rings thru the initial couple minutes of grill time to keep their shape more consistent

2FE9E8BC-1FAE-452E-A5C9-CAEF38E39307.jpeg

Thanksgiving we started off with homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast.
24D45889-144C-407F-B5FB-8050E4B06CC0.jpeg

Roasted turkey with the usual sides including creamed pearl onions. No green bean casserole.
F9BCD964-2B03-467E-A119-E069360FE327.jpeg

Tonight some turkey left overs on a modern “Waldorf salad” because I added apple and walnuts. Modern because there’s no iceberg lettuce nor mayo accept for what’s in the ranch dressing.

It’s all dark meat, flavorful and juicy. I’ve never had wild duck my understanding is it is gamey if not treated “properly”.
I have heard some taste like the slough they were eating out of but that also depends on breed of duck.

all wild game is "gamey" in traditional sense of farm raised. Farm raised usually feeds normal stuff then finishes with a higher fat meal before butcher. straight grass fed cattle to plate are "gamey" and very lean, has great flavor but even a ribeye with no fat interlaced can be tough if not prepared correctly. of course with high acreage of farm grain fields which critters feed on have changed the flavor of some wild game.

I LOVE duck but the only wild-caught duck I've tried tasted fishy. My cats thought it was fantastic though! ;)

Merry, do you have a recipe for that kombucha? Sounds delicious!
Sure, I squeeze the juice from the rind of a fresh pineapple (not the most efficient but that’s what I do) I put 2-3 ox in my 16oz bottles add the booch, let it carb. I do a continuous method so a couple days after refreshing i pull for the second fermentation. Oh, and a 1/4 tsp of ground ginger with the pineapple is really nice too

YUM Merry!

I haven't remembered to take pictures but I've been making chuck pot roast about once a week, or every other week at the most. It's so good and especially on these cooler nights.

Also got some kefir grains and have those proliferating on the countertop. AND we have a bunch of veggies fermenting out in the fermentation chamber in the garage. They'll be done in a few more days! Sauerkraut with red cabbage; bell peppers; dilly green beans; asparagus spears. Fun with food!

Yesterday I put 4 beef ribs in the crockpot, added stew veggies and dinner was good. But after I carefully removed all the meat I realized why I never liked barbecued beef ribs-theres not much besides fat and connective tissue. If I wasn't by myself it wouldn't have been much meat for my wife and me.

It’s definitely soup, chili and stew weather here, @Temptd2 ! The man of the house here would be happy to have pot roast. Those veggies fermenting are all good too!
I asked my wife when she's making chili (award-winning srsly) and apparently it's always been a superbowl thing. Can't wait. Man she makes it good.

Regarding the weather, we are hunkered down here! Some sort of depression, as the say on the tv. Dipped into the low 60s tonight. Getting the long johns out tonight BRRRRR.

Back