What beer to make (If aging for a year)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
Well,

I just got out of the military but I accepted a job offer to go to Afghanistan for a year. So here's my question. If you were to make a brew that you wouldn't be able to touch for a whole year what style of beer would you go with?

My wife can rack it into a secondary, or even into the keg if needed.

a big giant belgian tripel or quad. just whipped up a tripel weighing in at 1.090-starting it out with a belgian saison yeast and ten adding an abbey style yeast to pick up the remaining sugars. should be a knockout in a =bout 8 months.

any of those posted before would work too.

generally you should stay away form anything that needs a strong hop presence- since most of hte hops will have faded in a year. A mead would be great, or a big imperial. figure out what you like then search for the highest gravity version you can find

Hmm... a mead sounds like it would be pretty awesome. Now I need to see if I can find some local honey for a decent price.

First choice, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (recipe is in Best of Brew, 250 Clone recipes magazine, available on line and maybe at ur LHBS
Second choice, English style barleywine

Hey there fellow former UH60 Repairer. Personally, I would consider a nice hearty barleywine. I would make sure it's through primary fermentation, and let it bulk age a year than dry hop when you get back. It would be sublime.

HH60gunner said:
Hmm... a mead sounds like it would be pretty awesome. Now I need to see if I can find some local honey for a decent price.

If you do a mead you are going to have to rack if off the lees at LEAST every six months or risk funkification from that yeast cake. Got any friends you can qualify so they can rack it for you?

I'd make a MILD, and drink it all, 3 weeks later, before I left.

I'd do the same when I got back.

Back