What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a style that, frankly, intimidates me. There's no margin for error anywhere in your recipe or brewhouse performance. It's a rabbit hole that I don't want to fall into.

Like you, I enjoy the suggestion of roastiness. If I ever get brave/lose my marbles and take a serious stab at it, I'm thinking roast malt, not roast barley? That said, I've never gotten the "harsh/acrid/ashtray" thing that people use to slag off roast malt.

You dunked on that one. Last week's picture was even better.
I've talked to so many people over the years about home brewing. They ask what is the hardest beer to brew, thinking I'll say a DIPA or Imperial Stout, I say a 4.5% Pilsner. Like you said, you miss your mark by a mile on a Pils and it's undrinkable where as the others will be at least ok, ask me how I know! 😉

Same with composers. People ask who's the hardest to play (piano). Mozart, I say. I get the ???? Look. You can miss 100 notes on Rachmaninoff or basically any Romantic period composer no issues but miss a note on Mozart and you can drive a truck through it.

HB Amber Ale with some pizza.
44D53456-3918-43F8-BF65-72C0E6AAB672.jpeg

Well said!

I never get sick of telling the tale, so I'll tell it again, of how Annie Johnson walked into the 2013 NHC Homebrew beer contest and casually slaughtered a competition brimming with all manner of IPAs, Imperials as far as the eye can see, barrel aged this, hazy that. All expensive to make, all trendy, all dead when Annie was done with them.

Annie gunned down twenty-six other style categories with her modest little Light American Lager and strolled out of there with the Homebrewer of the Year prize.

Any muppet can make a starter and throw dumb amounts of malt and hops at a beer. Sure, there's some skill involved, I'm not knocking it. But Light American Lager? You're not fooling anyone--even your mom knows when your Light American Lager sucks.

Annie Johnson, epic badass. :bigmug:

Last edited:
Dang, I’m a rookie @ 23, or 161 years. I told her it’s like dog years. 😎 Guess that’s what happens when you wait until you’re 35 to tie the knot.
I was 34 when I got married. She ended up getting cancer, passed away about 6 months before what would have been our 20th. I remarried a few years later, we’re on 8.

Last edited:
Schaefer sounded familiar, so I hit the Googles:

View attachment 846678

Yep, that's exactly what I remember! 🤣 😂
Its owned by Pabst now. I read something a couple years ago they were supposed to do a re-brand and start brewing it again in New York. But I never saw or heard anything further.

I have a Schaefer logo t-shirt I wear sometimes and people stop me all the time and ask me if they still make that.

Last edited:
Its owned by Pabst now. I read something a couple years ago they were supposed to do a re-brand and start brewing it again in New York. But I never saw or heard anything further.

I have a Schaefer logo t-shirt I wear sometimes and people stop me all the time and ask me if they still make that.
Damn dude, life puts us all through our own tribulations but cheers to you!

IMG_4003.jpeg

Latest posts

Back