What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That went down fast. Finally getting my taste and smell back! Wow, that's pretty good! šŸ˜

Mason and Sadie are not, I believe, Iditarod material. I can barely get them to chase balls... Gen-Z Labs. So lazy! šŸ¤£

PXL_20240414_005952479.MP.jpg

I tried to rationalize 25 oz is BASICALLY a bomber...wife doesn't get it...whatever...yes...drinking from the bottle...yes, also best sparkling wine in the US...yes...yes...yesssssssssssssssss
View attachment 846461
Pretty sure that counts as 1 drink man..šŸ‘

BTW, and I think only you would get this, my glasses with the now defunct "Santa Cruz 99 Beer Bottle Shop" label are on their way. I had 2 but 1 broke and my buddy, whose from the area wanted the other. I took a picture and my DiL who's a graphic artist set me up with a .PNG file and I was able to get it printed on a pint glass from Zazzle. So excited!!

My wife and I had a hard day working in the yard getting ready for summer. So she went and picked up pizza while I commenced to enjoying a HB Marzen. It is amazing how well pizza goes with a true to style Marzen. Gee I love this beer.
IMG_20240413_203822004.jpg

Oh well the head diminished while I was woofing down pizza. Lol. A delicious combination.

Pretty sure that counts as 1 drink man..šŸ‘

BTW, and I think only you would get this, my glasses with the now defunct "Santa Cruz 99 Beer Bottle Shop" label are on their way. I had 2 but 1 broke and my buddy, whose from the area wanted the other. I took a picture and my DiL who's a graphic artist set me up with a .PNG file and I was able to get it printed on a pint glass from Zazzle. So excited!!
I wonder if I still have my punch card somewhere - bastards!

Edit: Oops, double posted - thought my first one was erased when my toddler got a hold of my phone!
My first IPA (infected pale ale)
Had a dry white pellicle after about 2 weeks, bottled it anyway.
Pretty meh, but not awful. I made another mistake with this brew that resulted in a quite low ABV (<3%) as well.
1000005696.jpg

Speaking of Kolsch and glasses, anybody got a line on where I could purchase some Stange glasses? Canā€™t seem to find any on the ā€˜Inner Websā€™ at the usual sources. It just doesnā€™t feel right to drink my Kolsch out of a Pilsner or Nonic glass.
Good luck!

About a 1.5 years ago, when I realized I definitely was going to need to donate a kidney, I looked high and low to find a set of Stanges. Absolutely zero luck, anywhere, even using boolean modifiers--not sure if Google even respects those anymore.

I eventually tracked *one* down on something like page 12 of my twentieth Amazon search from a private seller in Germany. They're out there, but search engines are so junked up with sponsored results these days that you've gotta sort through thirty pages of the same Chinese crap to find meaningful results.

It cost something like 35 bucks for a single glass, but it was a critical part of the donation process, so totally worth it.

Good luck, dig deep into those search results! They're out there, but you gotta dig for them.

Gluten free NEIPA. Really digging these new base malts. Super clean and lighter color ftw!

View attachment 846446
That's a really pretty example of the style. Tell me more about your new base malts, I didn't see what you were using in earlier posts.

No baloney, that's really pretty!

Another warm day. Spent a good part of it planting a Black Hills Spruce seedling. Dug a hole, hit something that felt kind of solid, thought it was a root from a nearby tree. Nope, it was an irrigation line for one of my sprinklers. Yes, the spade cut into it. No, I didn't have any splice fittings on hand. Yeah, I had to run to Lowe's. Got the line fixed, but the water is shut off for the season so I'll find out how good my splice job is next month.

Anyway, planted the little tree a few feet away.

Having a G&T.

20240414_154006.jpg

Edit: Oops, double posted - thought my first one was erased when my toddler got a hold of my phone!
My first IPA (infected pale ale)
Had a dry white pellicle after about 2 weeks, bottled it anyway.
Pretty meh, but not awful. I made another mistake with this brew that resulted in a quite low ABV (<3%) as well.
View attachment 846502
Know that we've all been there, Lampy!

There is no worse feeling, at least in the HB world, than finally getting to taste that first sip that you've been waiting weeks for....and it all comes crashing down. Not with the first sip, but the first smell...

Ugh, it's an awful feeling. We've all been there and we all feel you.

It's a cruel, but vital part of the process that teaches you how to make great beer. Right now, it's so easy to get discouraged, but don't be discouraged--learn from it instead! You will get there, you just need to think a bit about your practices.

Like you, we've all picked ourselves up off the floor and looked critically at our processes and boiled all the things that needed to be boiled, replaced all the plastic things that needed to be replaced, learned to pitch more yeast, and learned to treat those beasties a bit better.

The payoff is worth it.

You just have to keep slogging and being ruthless about sanitation.

We all got there and you will too!

Keep at it, Lampy! You can do it!

Last edited:
Another warm day. Spent a good part of it planting a Black Hills Spruce seedling. Dug a hole, hit something that felt kind of solid, thought it was a root from a nearby tree. Nope, it was an irrigation line for one of my sprinklers. Yes, the spade cut into it. No, I didn't have any splice fittings on hand. Yeah, I had to run to Lowe's. Got the line fixed, but the water is shut off for the season so I'll find out how good my splice job is next month.

Anyway, planted the little tree a few feet away.

Having a G&T.

View attachment 846503
I know there's all kinds of micro gins out there, but I think no gin is better in a G&T than Tanqueray. It tastes like a gin and tonic. It has that biting *snap* that punches through the tonic water.

It sure makes a nice G&T.

Great venue out there. Right about now at sunset is beautiful. I live about 8min away but enjoying the backyard for now.

View attachment 846458
Absolutely blown away by the number of breweries in the area an hour outside of Austin. We hadnā€™t been this way in almost 30 years. But what was really interesting were all the wineries. Nothing that really blew us away, but still nice wines (but at California prices).

We stopped at Rhinory for a tasting and ended up dropping around four bills, though 20% gets added on for rhinoceros rescue, placement and anti-poaching efforts worldwide.

Winos for Rhinos, as well as Yoga With the Goats, all deep in the Heart of Texas. Quite a visit to the Lone Star State.

I drove into PDX once a week when I was donating the kidney to get more of that stuff. It's the first time I've ever had a German beer that made me say, "Oh, wow!"

And it was cheap, too! Two bucks a can, just two bucks a can! When compared to the half-baked swill they're brewing in what used to be Beervanna, it was a no brainer. Yes, I'll have have the good beer that costs half the price and doesn't taste like failed homebrew.

The cans really make a difference. I'd never had canned Paulaner prior to my trip back home, my mind was blown. Amazing stuff.

A final glass of Panther Piss.

Use more S-189. It's an amazing strain on the second pitch that is clean, crisp, and really accentuates the corn on a CAP. Plus, it drops like no other lager yeast. It's a great strain, criminally underappreciated.

You guys should be using more S-189 instead of chasing the Mexican lager yeast fad.
14DD9A64-04C7-451F-A3C0-E029854B3293.jpeg

Last edited:
Back