Want to go All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladodger34

Reaction score
I have a nice $100 bill burning a whole in wallet after getting into the finals of my fantasy football league. How far can I stretch it to go all-grain? My brewing set up is already pretty good. I have a nice propane burner, 10 gallon pot, chest freezer with temp controller, etc.

Yep. A few bucks for a bag, 40$ for some 2 row, 20$ for specialty grains, 30$ corona mill.

Then all you need is hops and yeast on brew days.

Use your savings from grain to start buying hops by the pound, and wash yeast and savings will add up quickly as opposed to kits/extract.

Go with BIAB and you will have almost 100 bucks to spend on ingredients. Looks like you have everything you need but the bag.

Yep, this...easy money dude! Pick up a BIAB bag tonight and you're all grain brewing tomorrow. :rockin:

As others have said BIAB, 15 lbs of grain , 2-10 ounces of hops (SMaSH) and some yeast. If you don't have a stir plate I'd say save the leftover cash to buy one for starters.

BIAB is a great starting point. So great that many stay at that point and are perfectly happy. The thing is to find what you're comfortable with and works for you. And entry-level priced!

I started my AG venture with a mill and a BIAB. After about 6 brews of looking at my car roof-rack straddling the kitchen counter tops with a bunch of hardware to hold a hot bag dripping into a pot on the floor I determined that there had to be a better way for me. That came in the form of a mash tun. Life was much better for me at that point. Then the homebrew-gear-itis took its hold of me and I ended up with an e-kettle. How'd I live without that thing?

BIAB..all you need is ONE vessel.. you can make yourself a stir plate..grain crushing a burr coffee grinder can be your friend..once you get setup you can improve your system..you can even get software for free

Last edited by a moderator:
Back