Vote! Aging a doppelbock: oak or choc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I age a doppelbock with chocolate or with oak?

• Chocolate extract

• Oak cubes

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
I have an extra gallon of a doppelbock that I just brewed that I want to age in an experimental way. I think that both oak and chocolate sound interesting, but I am unsure of how the flavor will actually come out, especially with the oak.
Chocolate sounds like an easy transition. I have chocolate extract, and have used it to great effect in a youngs double choc. stout recipe.
I have never used oak, but I picked up some medium toast cubes. Soaking them in dark rum or brandy or whiskey could make for a nice effect.

Opinions? Other options? Do both choc extract and oak? I would like to avoid fruit, just FYI.

Doppelbocks were always a little too malty for my taste; it was hard to finish the whole bottle. I think that the tannins from the oak would help balance that a little, but add to the richness and depth of flavor.

Doppelbocks were always a little too malty for my taste; it was hard to finish the whole bottle. I think that the tannins from the oak would help balance that a little, but add to the richness and depth of flavor.

Some of them do border on cloyingly sweet. I modeled mine after Kloster Andechs: lighter alcohol (7.2%), malty but closer to a dunkel than one of those big optimator or salvator types of doppelbocks.

That is a useful point, about the oak balancing the malt. :mug:

I voted "other" cuz IMHO, a good doppelbock doesn't need either.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Its only 1 gallon out of 6. 5 gallons will be straight doppelbock, and it better be delicious! I only have 5gal glass carboys, so for lagering 6 gallons i use a 1 gallon jug and a 5gal carboy. I am just looking to play with the 1 extra, and was wondering what it might be best complimented by.

Anyone know of commercial examples of either, aside from sam adams?

Latest posts

Back