Vitality starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
For my last two batches I mixed the “traditional” starter days in advance and just did a 4 hr vitality starter on brew day and it seems to work quite well.

I’ll take 50g of DME and 500ml of water, boil, cool and pitch a pack of newish yeast. Let this spin for ~4 hrs and pitch.

The last beer was a 1.068 stout and it dropped to 1.022 in 4 or 5 days with good krausen. The first beer was a smallish wheat and I about blew the top off my mini fridge.

I’ll probably stick to a larger, “traditional” starter for my lagers but for ales this seems to work well, with no bad flavors that I can tell.

Anyone else move to a vitality starter?

For my last two batches I mixed the “traditional” starter days in advance and just did a 4 hr vitality starter on brew day and it seems to work quite well.

I’ll take 50g of DME and 500ml of water, boil, cool and pitch a pack of newish yeast. Let this spin for ~4 hrs and pitch.

The last beer was a 1.068 stout and it dropped to 1.022 in 4 or 5 days with good krausen. The first beer was a smallish wheat and I about blew the top off my mini fridge.

I’ll probably stick to a larger, “traditional” starter for my lagers but for ales this seems to work well, with no bad flavors that I can tell.

Anyone else move to a vitality starter?

I've actually moved away from starters altogether. At least for ales, 1.060 or less. They offer no benefit at all with a healthy yeast pack.

I will do vitality starters on occasion, but only for yeast slurry that's a few months old or more.

Back