Virtual and Real-Life Friendships

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yooper sometimes calls those of us in the HBT community her 'make believe' friends. I share that sentiment, and like her, welcome the opportunity to meet my pretend, virtual friends in real-life.

The far-flung enterprise of Pappers Inc. LLC brought me to NYC recently (I'm in the airport waiting for my plane as I post this) and I stayed in Long Island City, which as it turns out, is quite near Creamy Goodness. So, on a free evening, we got together for a beer, which turned into three beers and a great charcuterie plate at a fun neighborhood place called Astoria Bier and Cheese.

creamyg-and-paps-62923.jpg

What a pleasant evening. While I enjoy online conviviality, I do like in-person, real-life interactions more. I had a sour beer, an RIS and a session IPA, all very good. It was great fun to talk with CG and, as we talked about the impending birth of his first child, it brought me back to that time in my life, especially as, this week, my 'baby' is graduating from college.

I hope I'll have more chances to meet many of you at the AHA Conference this summer. On club night, I'll be at the Brewers of South Suburbia table, serving barrel aged beers. Look for the handsome one, that'll be me. If that doesn't work, ask for Jim.

I call you guys my "imaginary friends" but I've met a few hundred of you in person over the years. I used to try to keep track, but stopped in about 2008 or so.

I'm jealous that you guys got to hang out- I can't imagine getting back to NYC in my lifetime so I think James will have to remain an imaginary friend for me!

One of the fun things for me at the NHC is meeting so many other brewers. Some are from the forum, some are not- but everyone I met has been great!.

The first NHC I went to, there were about 800 attendees. My goal was to meet everyone there, and I think I actually managed to do that. The last one I went to had about 3500 attendees if I remember correctly- so I didn't stand a chance at meeting the majority of them. The larger sized group is great for homebrewing as a hobby, but it does turn into a sea of people at times!

I really like having a few beers with HBT folks, and without exception I've liked every single one of them. The funny thing is, we all have online "personalities" and I love to see the look on people's faces when I don't even come close to what they pictured in their minds. :D

Revvy was the most comical. He towered over me (he's got to be at least 6'9") and kept saying, "But...you're so tiny! I thought you'd be so much bigger!"

One guy at the NHC last year was eyedoctodd. (Did I get that ID right?). He came up to a bunch of us talking about lunch and where we were going, and he asked if we were from HBT as pjj2ba had his avatar on his lanyard. We all said yes, and introduced ourselves. You should have seen his face when I said I was Yooper. He looked stunned and short of shouted, "You're a girl!?!?!" :D We ended up going to a pipe organ concert as a group, and I really liked him alot!

I call you guys my "imaginary friends" but I've met a few hundred of you in person over the years. I used to try to keep track, but stopped in about 2008 or so.

I'm jealous that you guys got to hang out- I can't imagine getting back to NYC in my lifetime so I think James will have to remain an imaginary friend for me!

One of the fun things for me at the NHC is meeting so many other brewers. Some are from the forum, some are not- but everyone I met has been great!.

The first NHC I went to, there were about 800 attendees. My goal was to meet everyone there, and I think I actually managed to do that. The last one I went to had about 3500 attendees if I remember correctly- so I didn't stand a chance at meeting the majority of them. The larger sized group is great for homebrewing as a hobby, but it does turn into a sea of people at times!

I really like having a few beers with HBT folks, and without exception I've liked every single one of them. The funny thing is, we all have online "personalities" and I love to see the look on people's faces when I don't even come close to what they pictured in their minds. :D

Revvy was the most comical. He towered over me (he's got to be at least 6'9") and kept saying, "But...you're so tiny! I thought you'd be so much bigger!"

One guy at the NHC last year was eyedoctodd. (Did I get that ID right?). He came up to a bunch of us talking about lunch and where we were going, and he asked if we were from HBT as pjj2ba had his avatar on his lanyard. We all said yes, and introduced ourselves. You should have seen his face when I said I was Yooper. He looked stunned and short of shouted, "You're a girl!?!?!" :D We ended up going to a pipe organ concert as a group, and I really liked him alot!

Actually, Yoop, after the baby is born (and has grown enough to fly)in July I will be spending some time in Presque Isle. We could discuss this offline if you feel better about it, but how close are you to Mackinaw (Mackinac?)? We could meet up somewhere by you or meet you half way for lunch or a beer or something...

Other forums I'm active in have meets subforums. I'm surprised there isn't one here. I've met a few and always had a good time.

Perhaps we need a meets section here?

Yooper sometimes calls those of us in the HBT community her 'make believe' friends. I share that sentiment, and like her, welcome the opportunity to meet my pretend, virtual friends in real-life.

The far-flung enterprise of Pappers Inc. LLC brought me to NYC recently (I'm in the airport waiting for my plane as I post this) and I stayed in Long Island City, which as it turns out, is quite near Creamy Goodness. So, on a free evening, we got together for a beer, which turned into three beers and a great charcuterie plate at a fun neighborhood place called Astoria Bier and Cheese.

creamyg-and-paps-62923.jpg

What a pleasant evening. While I enjoy online conviviality, I do like in-person, real-life interactions more. I had a sour beer, an RIS and a session IPA, all very good. It was great fun to talk with CG and, as we talked about the impending birth of his first child, it brought me back to that time in my life, especially as, this week, my 'baby' is graduating from college.

I hope I'll have more chances to meet many of you at the AHA Conference this summer. On club night, I'll be at the Brewers of South Suburbia table, serving barrel aged beers. Look for the handsome one, that'll be me. If that doesn't work, ask for Jim.

Pappers is every bit as cool a guy in real life as he is in virtual space. Very glad I was able to meet up with him and vice versa. I didnt have any okra mead for him to sample, sadly...

Ha! The first thing I thought was Where's Jim's mustache??

I'd be very interested in joining Yooper and James up near the straits if it works out.

I have such a very poor memory for names and faces. While Yooper can generally remember everyone's real name in one meeting, it usually takes me a few times before I remember their real names. I hope nobody would hold it against me if I see them at convention and use their HBT handle.

Actually, Yoop, after the baby is born (and has grown enough to fly)in July I will be spending some time in Presque Isle. We could discuss this offline if you feel better about it, but how close are you to Mackinaw (Mackinac?)? We could meet up somewhere by you or meet you half way for lunch or a beer or something...

I'm about 4.5 hours drive from Mackinaw City/Straits.

I'd be very interested in joining Yooper and James up near the straits if it works out.

I have such a very poor memory for names and faces. While Yooper can generally remember everyone's real name in one meeting, it usually takes me a few times before I remember their real names. I hope nobody would hold it against me if I see them at convention and use their HBT handle.

That's what's different about Jim! I couldn't place it, but you're right!

While I usually remember people's names, they seem to always still call me "Yoop", except for Pappers. He always calls people by the correct name!

Not just my stashe, but the whole damn beard! Two weeks ago, on a whim, without checking with my spouse, I just shaved it off. Time for a change. Nothing stays the same. A rolling stone gathers no moss. The only constant is change. Leave them guessing.

I've met up with three fellow HBT'ers. One to buy 4 corny kegs, another to pick up 275 pounds of grain and the third to buy a dual body regulator, a 20 lb CO2 tank and a 5 lb CO2 tank!

I don't know if I'll ever meet Yooper and I even missed her 5,000th post...I think it was the 5,000th one at any rate.

Not just my stashe, but the whole damn beard! Two weeks ago, on a whim, without checking with my spouse, I just shaved it off. Time for a change. Nothing stays the same. A rolling stone gathers no moss. The only constant is change. Leave them guessing.

Did you have goatee' thing? Not a beard. Or, was it a beard? Geez, now I can't picture you with it. I hate when that happens!

What did your wife say?

Did you have goatee' thing? Not a beard. Or, was it a beard? Geez, now I can't picture you with it. I hate when that happens!

What did your wife say?

Yup, a goatee beard, not a full beard. And Nancy said it would take a while to get used to me without it.

I've met, ate and brewed with imaginary friends from HBT and other online places. Two of our friends are from WoW, and they met, and ultimately got married, by first meeting in WoW.

I need to reevaluate who I associate with :drunk:

For the record, I tried to connect with Creamy on my recent visit to Manhattan. Snubbed. I see how it is.

I hope you dont really feel that way, pawn... sorry my schedule was chaotic at that point. Do hope you come into town again soon...

I hope you dont really feel that way, pawn... sorry my schedule was chaotic at that point. Do hope you come into town again soon...

Messing with you sasquatch. I could tell your work world was upside down at that time. Next time I come there you're buying the first round of M&Ms at that ridiculous 5-floor store near Times Square. Odd that place.

Messing with you sasquatch. I could tell your work world was upside down at that time. Next time I come there you're buying the first round of M&Ms at that ridiculous 5-floor store near Times Square. Odd that place.

Oh man, does anything scream "tourist trap" more than 5 stories of M&Ms?

Worst is when tourists stand outside that behemoth and gawk at it (clogging the sidewalk) rather than going inside.

Oh man, does anything scream "tourist trap" more than 5 stories of M&Ms?

Worst is when tourists stand outside that behemoth and gawk at it (clogging the sidewalk) rather than going inside.

I gawked, but only briefly. It was right outside our hotel, so we could look down at it any time we wanted from the windows.

Actually, there's a handmade cheese place called Beecher's Cheese near the flatiron bldg that had great cheese and beers. For me that's a match made in heaven. Meet you there!

Sounds good to me :).

Maybe by that time Strand will be open again. I had poor Pappers meet me there, only to find a dark building. Man, am I ever out of touch.

Sounds good to me :).

Maybe by that time Strand will be open again. I had poor Pappers meet me there, only to find a dark building. Man, am I ever out of touch.

It was a beautiful evening, I got there about 30 minutes early, sat down outside the Strand on one of their benches and watched the neighborhood walk by. So many babies out in strollers, people walking home from work, running errands, walking the dog. I got the sense that people were just so grateful for the spring weather, everyone was smiling. A pleasant way to spend 30 minutes!

For anyone looking for a taproom in NYC, on this trip I went to SingleCut Beer's taproom on Sunday afternoon. It's in Astoria and the taproom is only open Thursday-Sunday. Typical small taproom for a small brewery. Had a couple of sour beers, sort of unusual for such a small brewery, both of which I enjoyed. Good beer culture, talked with a couple of other homebrewers there, and a guy my age there with his adult daughter.

Didn't go this trip, but last autumn, my wife and I went to Brooklyn Brewery's tasting room and I highly recommend it too, what a blast. Completely different than SingleCut's, it was big, packed and boisterous.

I bet they were too, considering the killing cold I experienced there in the first week of January. Brrrrrrrr.

I know you Floridians deal with different kinds of weather abominations, but this was the worst winter, the most oppressive winter, in my memory. The three days I was in NYC were just delightful from a weather perspective. And because it was NYC, I was walking everywhere - fantastic!

I don't think I want to meet any more "online friends".... I have such a special, unspeakable, place deep down in my heart for Yooper that I would never want real life, or her married status, to interfere with our unspoken love.

... other than that? Yeah... I've met a bunch of guys... they all sucked. Especially Az_IPA. What kind of freakin' log-in name is that anyway... "Hey I live in Arizona AND I like IPAs!"

nailed-it-thumb.jpg

I hated to go inside last night! Got a lot done. Took apart my ekettle and cleaned off the burnt maple syrup, scrubbed the kettle, put it all back together. Stripped the parts out of my plastic PWM housing to move it to a metal box. Hopefully, but not likely, I will have it wired back up for brewing tomorrow.

It was warm and I was hot wearing shorts and a T. Felt great.

Oh yeah. It was so warm,it was the first time I could pick up my son from work without a coat or jacket on. Even had a couple SA Rebel IPA's.:mug:

For anyone looking for a taproom in NYC, on this trip I went to SingleCut Beer's taproom on Sunday afternoon. It's in Astoria and the taproom is only open Thursday-Sunday. Typical small taproom for a small brewery. Had a couple of sour beers, sort of unusual for such a small brewery, both of which I enjoyed. Good beer culture, talked with a couple of other homebrewers there, and a guy my age there with his adult daughter.

Didn't go this trip, but last autumn, my wife and I went to Brooklyn Brewery's tasting room and I highly recommend it too, what a blast. Completely different than SingleCut's, it was big, packed and boisterous.

Torst in Brooklyn.

Do yourself a favor.

I've invited two HBTers to my house, after only "meeting" them on line. One from Southern PA (Warrior) who has a camp up near me, and the other was Soperbrew who was in town for a wedding and was looking for some HB action. The open invite still stands for folks.

Batting 100% so far.

I get to NYC a couple times a year (sister-in-law - UES) and would like to meet a few more folks there. Actually met michaletrego and Fastricky at the PU competition in '11. We visited and shared HB with fastricky a few times after that during trips to NYC. Now he is too busy running Singlecut in Astoria (he hasn't posted on here in a year)

I've invited two HBTers to my house, after only "meeting" them on line. One from Southern PA (Warrior) who has a camp up near me, and the other was Soperbrew who was in town for a wedding and was looking for some HB action. The open invite still stands for folks.

Batting 100% so far.

I get to NYC a couple times a year (sister-in-law - UES) and would like to meet a few more folks there. Actually met michaletrego and Fastricky at the PU competition in '11. We visited and shared HB with fastricky a few times after that during trips to NYC. Now he is too busy running Singlecut in Astoria (he hasn't posted on here in a year)

I have a few brewdays with HBT folks- some I met when they rolled in.

I've had quite a few "others" as well- JimKarr, whom I "met" on this forum in about 2006, came to visit last summer with his lovely wife. I've had more than a few others in the past 8 years as well, and we've had a great time.

I always have an open invitation to HBT folks, and those who have taken me up on it have been a delight. They've all gotten along well with each other, too, and it was awesome to see Homercidal, Tiber_Brew, Conpewter and lschiavo and the other geek squad friends become good friends with each other as well at my house! Last year, we missed a few core members, but we still managed a bit of a Geek-a-pollooza.

I've come to make real-life friends out of these folks. I consider Pappers a very good friend, and I met one of my best friends ever (lschiavo) on this forum.

(And pjj2ba and his wife are super people, by the way!)

Of course you can't beat meeting folks at the NHC! It was very nice to finally meet Yooper and a bunch of others. I'm going to bring more bottles of beer this year.

I think it might be a bit more fun for us who live in the middle of nowhere (at least semi-nowhere) with no club - other than HBT to belong to.

eh hem... forgettttttting someone???

It's okay Yoop... everyone knows. You can say it.

Hmm. No I don't think so.

Oh, wait! Of course!

I met PaultheNurse and the_bird and their wives in upstate New York a couple of years ago. That was great.

Cape was invited, but he didn't want to meet me in person and destroy my fantasies of how hot he is.

Latest posts

Back