Small Town Brewery - Not Your Father's Root Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had the Four Loko (or whomever the **** is contract brewing it) version, but ****... I had a growler of it direct from the brewery last year and it was exactly like Root Beer.

It was at the fest in 2014... my bad for not clarifying. Vip tickets were also something like 90 bucks or something crazy.

Was kidding, wife and kids are there for a week and I'm meeting them there this upcoming weekend, but we have a wedding on the 11th. Was actually hoping I could make it to the brew fest but we're going to be downtown. Oh well.

Never something that I'd drink much of, but I think it's tasty and tastes exactly like root beer. It's just not beer. The 10% version some FIBs sent us in a gangbang round was super licious.

It's pretty damn sweet so I think it's safe to assume they back sweetened. Either that or they're adding neutral alcohol to a base which allows them to have a similar product at different ABVs.

This is what I'm thinking. It has a malt liquor aftertaste very similar to Mike's Hard Lemonade.

I think this stuff is terrible, regardless of who makes it. And I really like root beer.

It's apparently basically Smirnoff Ice as a base beer, then heavily loaded up with flavorings to simulate root beer. Not quite the miracle of brewing we were led to believe.

It also seems to be made by the Four Loko guys.
citation?

Just added it.

Nothing in that article actually supports the claim that it's flavored neutral alcohol, though. There are lots of crappy beers brewed at facilities like that. Actually, I think I read something that said that there ARE beers made at the same location.

I wouldn't doubt it being flavored malt liquor, but no definite proof.

Nothing in that article actually supports the claim that it's flavored neutral alcohol, though. There are lots of crappy beers brewed at facilities like that. Actually, I think I read something that said that there ARE beers made at the same location.

I wouldn't doubt it being flavored malt liquor, but no definite proof.
Right. It implies that it's a neutral flavored malt beverage.

Don't you guys know this is now Wisconsin's problem. FIB's are always trolling our neighbors to the north. This is no different amirte elkhunter36
We don't claim them. We already have Sprecher making shitty flavored water products so we are not accepting any newcomers. BTW Sprecher just added Hard Apple Pie to their lineup and I have 3 bottles that I will trade for Rare Waelz.

We don't claim them. We already have Sprecher making shitty flavored water products so we are not accepting any newcomers. BTW Sprecher just added Hard Apple Pie to their lineup and I have 3 bottles that I will trade for Rare Waelz.
IN! Bring them to GTMW. They sound heavenly.

Had at fest for the first time, pre-hype: "This sucks. Tastes like vodka root beer. *dump*"
Had the 9% more recently: "Okay that's pretty good."
Had the 5% again: "Confirmed as root beer plus vodka."

Had at fest for the first time, pre-hype: "This sucks. Tastes like vodka root beer. *dump*"
Had the 9% more recently: "Okay that's pretty good."
Had the 5% again: "Confirmed as root beer plus vodka."
Yeah, the 9% is pretty impressive. Not the other.

I would assume then the brick and mortar in Wauconda is where they produce the 10% and 19.5% versions for keg distro. Do any other states see these kegs? If not, that would convince me fully.

Found it. Tastes like root beer.

5/5 for true to style. 1/5 for beer I like.

Will put some up FT if anybody needs a taste since this flies off the shelf!

This product is the worst thing to happen to beer in a while. It's a cheaply produced back-sweetened malt liquor that is very successful at taking market share away from craft. You bet your ass more of the same will follow.

As for my personal opinion, even urine would taste delicious if you added this much root beer flavoring and syrup to it.

This product is the worst thing to happen to beer in a while. It's a cheaply produced back-sweetened malt liquor that is very successful at taking market share away from craft. You bet your ass more of the same will follow.

As for my personal opinion, even urine would taste delicious if you added this much root beer flavoring and syrup to it.

Yeah but how do you really feel?

But there's a barrel aged version, so it's ok!

So you think it tastes delicious?

Emma-Stone-Shrug-GIF.gif

Love all the "backlash" on this stuff now. It tastes like root beer, has alcohol and makes a great float. What's the ****ing problem?

I think it's because of three things:

- It's being marketed as a beer when it has little similarity to beer and some argue it isn't even a beer to begin with
- If it really isn't a beer, pouring decent vodka into a cup of root beer is cheaper and pretty much the same thing
- Anything with that much hype gets backlash here (except BCBS) - it's the law

I think it's because of three things:

- It's being marketed as a beer when it has little similarity to beer and some argue it isn't even a beer to begin with
- If it really isn't a beer, pouring decent vodka into a cup of root beer is cheaper and pretty much the same thing
- Anything with that much hype gets backlash here (except BCBS) - it's the law
The problem is a lot of people just don't like it.

Love all the "backlash" on this stuff now. It tastes like root beer, has alcohol and makes a great float. What's the ****ing problem?
The problem is that nobody ever marketed Mike's Hard Lemonade, Four Loko, or even Bud Lite Lime-A-Rita as "beer." If they would just call it what it is, I'd really have no issue at all.

The problem is that nobody ever marketed Mike's Hard Lemonade, Four Loko, or even Bud Lite Lime-A-Rita as "beer." If they would just call it what it is, I'd really have no issue at all.
But it would still suck.

The problem is a lot of people just don't like it.

As one of those people, I agree! (Except for the high alcohol version I had - that was dangerous alcopop that I wouldn't be able to replicate) But there are a lot of people who don't like *insert mediocre beer here* and they aren't nearly as controversial.

I honestly don't think people are passing on 'craft' for Not Your Father's. I don't think "exposing" these guys changes their demographic at all.

Then again, I drank 6 of these at an Independence Day party. I've enjoyed the non-good-beer drinking people in my group of friends moving to this instead of their crappy pseudo-ciders and Red's Apple for a 100% selfish reason: I can actually drink the stuff.

And once again, the 19.5% version is ****ing great.

Back