Using outside water supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zigs6

Reaction score
I brew in my garage and I don't have a sink in here. I've been reading a lot about NOT using garden hoses for kettle water due to potential off flavors. I know I could buy a potable water hose for RV's etc but I have a lot of brew buckets lying around. Can't I just disconnect my garden hose and fill these buckets directly from the spout and just pour them right into the kettle? This way I would be skipping the hose entirely. Makes sense in my mind just seeing what opinions are out there.

Can't I just disconnect my garden hose and fill these buckets directly from the spout and just pour them right into the kettle? This way I would be skipping the hose entirely.

Yes. Assuming the water from that tap is suitable for brewing. Is it the same supply as the drinking water in the house?

Edit: It's a PITA though (I did it for a while). I bet you'll buy that potable water hose after a few batches!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you brew 15 gallon batches I'd use a short piece of (potable) hose and buckets.

Don't forget to treat your brewing water for chlorine or chloramines with some meta/Campden.

As long as you flush the water in the hose out, before filling your vessels, it is OK to use any garden hose for brewing use. (Well, as long as this isn't a brand new hose that reeks of chemicals).

That short trip through the hose will not impart enough of anything to screw your beer up. I have used hoses before.

I built a short hose out of vinyl tubing (same as I use for siphoning) with a faucet fitting and a clamp. It's just a few feet long and can connect to any outdoor faucet or the kitchen sink if I swap the aerator with a threaded fitting.

I'm in the same situation and chose to get an RV drinking water hose because the garden hoses I have are just a hot unsightly mess from which I'd rather not drink. I got tired of carrying 7G+ from kitchen to garage and just hook up RV drinking water hose to outside faucet, flush a minute, fill pot, carry to garage. One thing I'd do differently is get a longer one next time so I can also use it when hooking up the coiled copper immersion chiller. Something to consider.

I use a regular hose, with no detectable off flavors. I do run the hose a few minutes to flush out all the water before using. My beer tastes great to me, so I have no plans on changing this setup.

As long as you flush the water in the hose out, before filling your vessels, it is OK to use any garden hose for brewing use. (Well, as long as this isn't a brand new hose that reeks of chemicals).

That short trip through the hose will not impart enough of anything to screw your beer up. I have used hoses before.

This, I brew in my backyard and have always filled with my garden hose. Never any off flavors. I usually clean and rinse my kettles before brewing and make up a 5 gallon batch of starsan so the hose is well flushed by the time I fill with brewing water.

You know, this never even occurred to me. Put me in the count as one who uses a hose and does not run off any water before hand. DOH! Literally the first drops to come out of the hose on brew day go into my kettle. Now granted I usually dilute at a rate of 8:1 (distilled:tap), but still. I've never noticed any smell or taste or anything of the sort and have been brewing this way for a couple of years.

Looks like I'll be letting the hose run for a minute from now on just to put my mind at ease.

This is a great idea. I've been just buying 7 or 8 gallons of spring water from the store each brew day but i could definitely save time and a few bucs buy going the hose and filter route.
Any suggestions on a good in line filter for this use?

Just following up: I've now brewed 2 batches using my garden hose. No off flavors at all.....Like mentioned above, I do use a fair amount of water first for cleaning etc, so I'm not going from stagnant hose water straight to the boil kettle or anything. I suppose it could depend on what type of hose you have too. Mine works great!

Latest posts

Back