Using Coco, Vanilla & Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAdric

Reaction score
I have put together a recipe for a dark chocolate porter. I want to use coco, vanilla and lactose in the brew to give it more of chocolate taste. I understand that i will have to use the vanilla and coco in secondary but iam wondering whats the best way to do this with out getting an infection or making overpowering flavores? It will be for a 25 ltr brew so wondering an idea on quantintity? Also how do i use the lactose?

Well, I will give you my process for using all three of those ingredients. For the vanilla (I use whole beans) beans, I use 2 beans for 5 gallons and I suspect 2 should be enough for 25 liters (approx 6.5 Gallons). I will split the bean lengthwise and scrape the innards then quarter the pod. I don't particularly worry about infections when using these ingredients so I just add everything directly to the secondary-innards and pod. When adding the chocolate flavor, I use cacao nibs. I will add 4 oz (approx 113 grams if we're using metric units) to the secondary per 5 Gal batch. I think 2 weeks of each in secondary will give you a pretty pronounced flavor. I might give a taste around a week and go from there.

As for using lactose, I add it to the boil in the last ten minutes. You could also add it in the secondary as well, but I think it's easier in the boil.

Others may have differing opinions, so choose what you think is right for you! Good luck!

Amazing advice. I was thinking nibs i was not sure that they could bring infection. I read if the beer has a high gravity i would have to watch the amount of flavoring i use in secondary as the high grav could intensify the flavor? As for lactose i am adding dextrose in the boil for body i know lactose will have this effect but i don't want to much milky taste so was thinking 150 grams? Will put the recipe up once I have made it.

I use beans and nibs however I soak in everclear first. I just threw in coco nibs once and it infected my milk stout. So now essentially make an extract first and throw it all in.

If soaked in everclear how long do you have to dry them for before throwing them in? Oh and whats an ozi equivalent to everclear?

TheAdric said:
If soaked in everclear how long do you have to dry them for before throwing them in? Oh and whats an ozi equivalent to everclear?

You can also use vodka...as long as its not flavored. There's no set amount you need to soak in, just enough to cover the beans and nibs. You should scrape and cut your beans before soaking them. There is no drying necessary. Toss everything into the beer. Spirit included.

Along the same lines, if you were making an oak aged porter, you would be using oak chips. In which case it might be nice to soak the chips in a bourbon or whiskey.

Back