Using a plastic food drum for fermentation in a nano-brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who ferments in 55 gallon plastic drums, might I also suggest considering top cropping your yeast. One of the biggest assets of a conical is the ability to get a valve/your racking cane in the perfect spot to avoid trub.

We are on the verge on signing a lease and starting a nano / brewpub. I am currently building the 55gl drum system modeled after my sankey single tier system I built 6 years ago.
I have procured some 55gl poly drum and this is what led me to this thread. I like the idea of liners, cheaper ones than suggested, and top cropping yeast the age old way! I do plan on ordering some 110gl conical fermenter however, we will also be making cider and with the drum we can simply pick up the fresh press and bring home to ferment in the same vessel.
The building we are getting has multiple walkin freezers... one is 10'x25' in the brewing warehouse, the other is 6'x10' in the taproom area and will act as our kegerator. :rockin:

P.S. www.usplastic.com offers to add a second port added at no cost.

So how's everyone doing with their fermentation in these plastic grade containers?

I wondered about using 55gal food safe drums for incorporating a "sour" line into a brewery without much overhead. I asked my buddy (he has a 30bbl system) if this was feasible for him, but he didn't seem to interested in making that move. He also has a vendetta of a sort towards fermenting in plastic. I disagree to a point with him, but he has more medals (GABF and the likes) than I do, so I'll trust his decision

I agree with your buddy for fermentation use SS or glass.
With plastic you will never know when you get an unwanted infection
You will make brewing decisions on future brews with flawed information

For your Mash Tun or your HLT plastic is fine.

Back