Used Tilt for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffy

Reaction score
I just bottled a 3-gal black IPA from an all-grain kit I bought from NB. This was my first time using my new Tilt Hydrometer. I mashed per instructions at 152 F for 75 mins and then mashed out at 168 F for 10. I also did a 3-pass vorlauf every 15 mins during the mash. I sparged to boil volume using 170 F water. Once boiled, hopped, cooled and in the fermenter, I aerated for 10 mins with an aquarium pump and stirred the foam down. Then I pitched dry US-05, stirred that in well and then dropped in my sanitized and calibrated Tilt device and sealed her up.

I connected to the device easily with an iPad and it showed an OG of 1.064. I screwed up a bit because I did not get all the Google Sheets business set up until after that so it did not include all of my readings from the very beginning in the spreadsheet, but I finally got all that working and began taking readings at regular intervals and they began to be tracked and graphed. Eventually after about 12 days I reached a FG of 1.005 for the third day in a row and bottled on day 14. I did not use a secondary on this batch because the fermenter has a concave bottom and keeps the yeast bed sloped away from the spigot enough so it's not a problem to bottle right from the primary using carbonation drops.

Once I bottled down to the point where I could see the Tilt was about an inch from the bottom, I opened the lid and removed the Tilt so it wouldn't bottom out and stir up the sediment. The end of the unit that floats upward (can't remember if that's the top or bottom of the device) had a thumbnail size gob of yeast on it. It was caked on pretty good and took some scrubbing and rinsing to get it off. Now, what I am wondering is, can I trust the SG readings as accurate even with the gob on the end or would something like that throw them off? And if so, would that tend to throw the reading off as high or low? I was kind of surprised it went all the way to 1.005 and was expecting something like 1.008. I know there is a margin of error involved. I have also read in the FAQs that the krausen is not normally a problem for the device.

I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but the weight of the stuff stuck to the unit was more than I expected. Overall, I like using the Tilt. I am way too lazy to pull samples and float the old hydrometer, so this Tilt thing was very interesting to me. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading of a batch of beer in probably 20 years. I feel all scientific and s**t.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I use the Tilt as an indicator that fermentation has stopped, so I don't need to keep taking gravity samples. My OG and FG readings I still take with a glass hydrometer and I find the Tilt can be out by +- 0.003 units, from a sample base of three brews, so I don't it for the ABV% calculations.
Is it consistently out the same way or does it change - up sometimes, down others? Does that ever correlate with yeast sludge stuck to the unit?

It's up and down, and while I've never checked the position yeast sludge stuck on it, it definitely is the cause. Tilt works by measuring the difference in the angle it floats at compared to how it floats in water, and the float angle is because of the position of the center of gravity of the unit. Sludge on the bottom as it floats will drag it more vertical, while sludge on the top, often from bobbing around in the krausen, will cause it to float less vertical than it should. Both cause errors in the accuracy of the SG reading. Just not sure which way it goes.

The dip on the graph below was caused by krausen buildup and it reverted to a higher value after swirling the fermenter around.

tilt_sample.jpg

So goop on the top should make it float less vertically, which would be interpreted as a higher SG than reality. In this case, the SG went to 1.005. I don't really think it would go much lower, so I'm inclined (pun intended) to think the stuff on the top didn't affect it that much at all. Thanks for the response.

I have two. Both read +/- 0.003-0.004 lower. This is from 40+ brews with them. I always take an og/fg with hydro too.

Okay, experiment results time. The things you do when working from home and bored as hell.

Took a small blob of Prestik (Blu Tack for the non-South Africans) about 0.05 grams and stuck it to the top of my Tilt. Now the Tilt actually floats at a fixed roll position in addition to the inclination with the battery down, see Paint sketch 1. Polling for this is every 60 seconds.
tilt_positions.png

With the blob on position A, it dropped the SG reading from 1.000 in water to 0.999 for 8 polls.
With the blob on position B, it raised the SG reading to 1.001 and wobbled between 1.001 and 1.000 for 10 polls.
With the blob on position C, it dropped the SG reading to 0.999 and wobbled between 1.000 and 0.999 for 9 polls, spending most of the time on 1.000.
With the blob on position D, it also dropped the SG reading to 0.999 initially and then stabilized at 0.998 for 10 polls.

I then increased the blob to about 0.1 grams and repeated positions A and B.

With the blob on position A, it dropped the SG reading to 0.999 for 10 polls.
With the blob on position B, it raised the SG reading to 1.006 for 10 polls.

So in conclusion, yeast/trub/sludge on the Tilt will affect the readings, but it depends where on the unit the accumulation has occurred. On the bottom, it seems to drop the reading, while on the top of the unit, it lowers the reading if it is on the A position and raises it if it is near the B position. It also doesn't take much mass to change the reading significantly. My digital scale is only accurate to 1g, but I subdivided the blob to get roughly 0.05 grams and then doubled it for the second tests.

sg_tests_plot.jpg

Very cool. Mine was probably closer to a gram and evenly distributed over the entire AB end. I think the idea of using the Tilt as a gauge of when fermentation is complete is a good idea. Even then I’d bet the ABV calculated between the Tilt and the old glass bobber isn’t far off.

As I mentioned mine measures on average the same below. So if it reads 1.007 I know the hydro FG will read 1.010. No biggie. The bets asset to me is the chart showing what happens. This is one of my brews showing ferm and cold crash. I rise temp a little towards end of ferm then shut it down.
TILT1.jpg

Very cool. Mine was probably closer to a gram and evenly distributed over the entire AB end. I think the idea of using the Tilt as a gauge of when fermentation is complete is a good idea. Even then I’d bet the ABV calculated between the Tilt and the old glass bobber isn’t far off.
Given that the overreading shifted more with the same weight on one side than the underreading on the other side, it might well have a significant effect even if spread evenly. I'll conduct an experiment with 1 gram of Blu Tack spread evenly across the upper side and see what effect that has.

And yes, I am slightly obsessed with seeing these effects.

I basically use the Tilt to just monitor how things are going. Also helpful if you want to add dry hops before halfway or more through fermentation. But my FG measured by the hydrometer is usually different than the Tilt. So I never take any actual final numbers from it.

Back