US-05 lag time at 18oC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drummerbrew1985

Reaction score
Brewed an American ipa on Thursday and it was Saturday morning before I saw any airlock activity.
Dry packet 11g pitched onto 20oC wort then set at 18oC.
Is this normal lag time for US-05?

It is a long lag time for SA-05, but the yeast had a lot of work to do. Pitching the yeast dry damaged or killed up to 50% of the cells. Dropping the temperature after pitching stressed the remaining yeast. You didn't say what the OG was, but if it was over 1.054 the yeast had a lot of growth to go through before an active ferment could begin.

Fermenting below 65° with SA-05 can bring out some peachy flavors.

SA-05? Never heard of that.
Also never heard of killing half the packet by pitching it dry.
Where did you hear that?
Do you have a link I can read?
Thanx for the reply :)

Read this months brew your own magazine. Huge article on it. The cell wall structure can't filter what it lets in while it's being hydrated for a short time.

Will it not make beer if you pitch it dry? No. Are you doing yourself and your beer a disservice by not taking 10 mins to rehydrate it properly? Maybe.

Either way, the facts are out there.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2010/06/the-importance-of-being-hydrated/

SA-05? Never heard of that.
Also never heard of killing half the packet by pitching it dry.
Where did you hear that?
Do you have a link I can read?
Thanx for the reply :)

Also check out the Dry Yeast FAQ sticky. There are lots of links at the bottom of the first post related to rehydrating, including a cell count experiment with US-05 by Sean Terrill that you might find interesting.

Some interesting articles out there.
I used to follow palmers recommendations to rehydrating, but I have been using very basic brewing yeast from my local garden centre until I started to know more about the process and not waste great yeast.
This is my first time using the US-05
Strain so I wanted to go back to basics until I can understand how it affects MY beer.
I will rehydrate again with a repeat recipe to see if it makes a difference to the lag time.
Lots of knowledge here on HBT. Gotta love that.

Some interesting articles out there.
I used to follow palmers recommendations to rehydrating, but I have been using very basic brewing yeast from my local garden centre until I started to know more about the process and not waste great yeast.
This is my first time using the US-05
Strain so I wanted to go back to basics until I can understand how it affects MY beer.
I will rehydrate again with a repeat recipe to see if it makes a difference to the lag time.
Lots of knowledge here on HBT. Gotta love that.

I've been abbreviating Safale US-05 as SA-05. Not a correct abbreviation. I'll stop doing it.

Thats pretty long. Before I went to liquid I used 05 almost all the time. At most, I saw an 8 hour lag, and that is with no rehydration. But as long as its going now...why worry?

fwiw, I did a 60 point pale Saturday afternoon, pitched a rehydrated US-05 packet around 6pm at 67F wort temperature, gave it 2 liters of pure 02 through a .5 micron stone @ .5 lpm, stuck in my fermentation fridge (also set for 67°F), and awoke this morning to a nice krausen.

also fwiw, I also brewed an ESB pitched with S04 at the same time as the pale, and its krausen would win the Krausen Race hands down vs the comparatively tame US-05.

S04 is a beast, even if held in check @ 67°F...

Cheers!

Sounds slow to me. If its going now I wouldnt worry. I basically had the same thing happen and it turned out that I had a lid with a crappy seal. At PEAK fermentation the airlock would bubble but that was it. All my beers turned out fine but until I figured out that I had a bad lid I freaked out like you. You will be fine I promise.

I think to be on the safe side, I would've rehydrated and pitched 2 packets for a 5 gallon batch. I use brewersfriend.com and their yeast calculator errs on the side of caution.

Also,

While many people on here dont rehydrate it only takes 10 minutes. Just rehydrate the yeast. I love us-05 and use it on half or more of my beers. Im a new brewer (20ish batches) and havent ventured too far off the basics but so far it is may favorite.

Typical dry yeast pitching rate is 1g per 1L, so 1 pack is ~50% under pitching for a standard size ale.

Also, dry yeast is assumed to have around 5-6 billion cells per gram minimum, even if not rehydrated and just tossed on top of wort. If you properly rehydrate, you can get 20-30 billion cells per gram depending on the strain's cell size.

Common pitching rate for ales is .75-1million cells/(*Plato-mL wort) for ales and 1.5-2 million cells/(*Plato-mL wort) for lagers.

I've never heard 1g/L of dry yeast before, that seems arbitrary (not dependent on gravity at all) and also seems like a very high pitch rate for a normal (~1.050) ale. That's 15-20 billion cells if you rehydrate properly, and as an example, at 1.048 (4°P) at a pitch rate of 1 million cells/ml/°P you need 4 billion cells per liter, or much less than a gram.

I've never heard 1g/L of dry yeast before, that seems arbitrary (not dependent on gravity at all) and also seems like a very high pitch rate for a normal (~1.050) ale. That's 15-20 billion cells if you rehydrate properly, and as an example, at 1.048 (4°P) at a pitch rate of 1 million cells/ml/°P you need 4 billion cells per liter, or much less than a gram.

reference

1g/1L is what Lallemand recommends. It's again dependent on strain size, but 1g/1L comes out to 5-10 mil/mL for BRY-97.

The 20-30 billion assumes 100% viability, so you're going to have less in reality.

Not sure how you're doing the math, but 1.048 is a 12 Plato beer, so you're looking at 12billion/L, so it is inline with 1g/1L with any loss in viability for a standard ale as I indicated in my first post. 19L of 12 Plato wort requires 19 grams of yeast, per Lallemand's 1g/1L recommendation, which is slightly less than two dry packets, or roughly 1 packet per the 20bil/gram hydrated. If you don't rehydrate and assume 6bil/gram, you'll need close to 3.5 packets.

Either way, if you're not doing cell counts it's all a wash either way, and it would decrease lag time to slightly over pitch.

I transposed the numbers in my head (12*4=48). A couple home brews and a late night... What can I say :D

I haven't used BRY-97, and I haven't read the data sheet. I will check that out tomorrow after some sleep. But for US-05 (what the OP was talking about), there are plenty of cells for a typical 5 gallon ale (Fermentis claims an average of 150 billion, independent cell counts confirm it is between that and 200 billion if properly rehydrated). 19 liters at 12°P at .75 million cells/ml/°P equals 228 billion cells, which is pretty close to one hydrated packet. If that is wrong, I'm too drunk to proceed any further. Either way, I shall now retire.

Latest posts

Back