Trying the right Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstiglich

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am going to start my first batch and wants to be sure that I am using the right crush for my grains.

Please give me your opinión about this crush..do you think it is to small? Most of the husk has been splited in two parts, otherwise I found imposible separating them from the interior.

Please let me know your thoughts.

s3ip92.jpg

33fepeh.jpg

2cqfyid.jpg

Regards,
Kenneth

Agreed... Looks good.
A little coarse for my setup.

Report back on what you get for efficiency for some extra input on this matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398589626.034573.jpg

Here is mine, I have a Barley Crusher and the rollers are set at .039. I run my grain through twice and jumped my efficiencies from the upper 60's to the low 80's. (By running through twice) give it a whirl and see what it gives you, if your not satisfied, make some adjustments and document your results. I think your crush looks good, but the numbers will tell the truth.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, I have a Corona mill and cannot figure out any number setting for my adjustment, and for that reason I am asking you for your opinion, considering that you have to eye-adjust with Corona...

I hope to obtain a good efficiency, it will be my first time home brewing and using my Braumeister 20L. I understand that many people has obtained great efficiencies using this machine.

Hopefully, I will start home brewing this week. I am still waiting for some stuff that is arriving for USA (I live in Peru), and still looking for a good sanitizer, because I cannot found Star San nor Yodophor here, so I have to visit some labs to see what is available to sanitize....
I will come back with some numbers as soon I finished my first batch.

Regards,
Kenneth

Unscented bleach will sanitize. You have to let it soak and rinse really well but it'll work.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm guessing Star San cannot be shipped otherwise what would prevent me from helping you out?
Can anyone offer any info about internationally shipping a chemical like Star San?

But I understand that sanitizing with bleach need to be rinsed, and using tap water would infect again all your sanitization. If I need pre boiled water or warm water, it becomes very complex to rinse everything.. For that reason my research is based on finding a sanitizer that does not need to be rinsed.

In the other hand, I just use again my mill setup to mill some caramel and chocolate grains....pictures following... I think it is correctly milled right?

34qrc7o.jpg

2iabpug.jpg

20iz0u9.jpg

2j1omtx.jpg

Latest posts

Back