Trouble deciding...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResQue

Reaction score
Surprise surprise another which kettle to buy post. I have been doing a lot of research in the past month or so on home brewing. I am a complete newb when it comes to this but i am a veteran beer drinker. So far i have done one batch. It was an extract kit that is currently in bottles and has only been in there one week. I do not have a kettle, i used a buddies for the kit. I would like to purchase my own but am stuck on the size and make. I have gone from 8g-20g and el cheapo to spike, megapot, stout and blichmann g2. I have 58 hours of overtime coming on a check but would like to keep the price under $500. I just cant make my mind up. While i plan on starting with 5g extract batches, i can see myself moving quickly to BIAB in 10 gallon batches. This makes me think i would be better off buying a 20g. Eventually i may move to a 3 vessel setup but may stick with BIAB. Lately i have been leaning towards the megapot for the 1.2 ratio and the tri ply bottom, which i assume is important for BIAB. Can anyone help point me in the right direction for size and manufacturer? Thanks.

Do 20G if you're thinking of doing 10G batches. I love my Blichmann. For < $500, they rock, get a Wilserbrewer BIAB, you're set.

On the low end, you could do a thick aluminum 20G, add a sight gauge, a thermo, and a valve. Will make the same beer. But if you're mentioning $500, I assume you want to do higher end.

Pots don't make beer, grains do. I'd spend the least (or nearly so) on a 20G aluminum pot as I could and put the rest of the money toward grains. JMHO

Thanks fellas. Sorry for the delayed reply. Busy doing training today. So i think i am going to go with a 10g. I can always use it as a HLT if i decide to go to a 3 vessel set.

Go for a 15G for your BK. The 10G will be close when you're doing larger boils. Save the headache and go big. After a couple of thinner, cheaper kettles, I ended up and am very happy with my 15G polarware BK, 10G igloo MLT, and a 10G polarware HLT. Everything was less than $700. Polarware makes some pretty nice brewkettles.

Go for a 15G for your BK. The 10G will be close when you're doing larger boils. Save the headache and go big. After a couple of thinner, cheaper kettles, I ended up and am very happy with my 15G polarware BK, 10G igloo MLT, and a 10G polarware HLT. Everything was less than $700. Polarware makes some pretty nice brewkettles.

Hmm, I bought a turkey fryer. It's only 7 1/2 gallons and sometimes I'm pretty close to the top. I added a couple of paint strainer bags and a cheap Corona style mill so I could do BIAB all grain. Everything was less than $100. That $600 difference will buy a lot of grains. I don't do big beers, the highest OG so far was 1.070 and that was only because I didn't believe the efficiency would be so high and was aiming for 1.055.

The 10 is going to be for my 5g batches. Eventually when/if i go to a 3 vessel, the BK will be a 20 so i can do 10g batches. Is a 10/10/20 okay? Or should i go 15/15/20? And if so, is a 15g too big for 5 g extract and BIAB?

I have a simple 11g stainless bayou classic. It does 5 gallon batches with no problem and without any boil over issues. If I could do it over I would buy a 15g pot so I could do larger batches. The price difference was not much and it would be a more versatile pot. Sounds like you would do the same, so 15g would be my vote for you.

Many people recommend tri-ply stainless pots and I am sure they are great. My pot is not and I have not had any issues with scorching. You can get a nice stainless pot in the 10-15 gallon range for around $100. My recommendation is that you do that and give it a go. If after a few brews you think you want something more, you can use it as a HLT, as you said. Use the savings to start moving towards temp controlled fermentation or kegging. The single biggest improvement I have made to my beer making was setting up a fermentation chamber.

I went with a 15 gallon Spike. They were having a sale. I got everything I needed for about $230. I just assembled it last night. I filled it to the top with water and not one drop was seen. Very pleased. I upgraded from a cheap 5 gallon kettle that was sufficient for PM and extract but I wanted something better and with a ball valve and welded.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So far i have done one batch. It was an extract kit that is currently in bottles and has only been in there one week............... while i plan on starting with 5g extract batches, i can see myself moving quickly to BIAB in 10 gallon batches.

Before you make your final decision, ponder this...it is less than $15 between the 60 qt and 80 qt.

While the incremental cost from 15 - 20 gallons is very tempting at like only $13, a 20 gallon kettle is huge, especially for someone 1 batch into the hobby planning a couple 5 gal extract batches.

Counterpoint to this is that if you do plan on going to 10 gal batches via BIAB, 20 gallon is the perfect size!
One and done last kettle you'll ever need haha, just be warned...a 20 gallon pot is freakin large...small kids could hot tub in it :)

I think a 20 would be way too big for me right now. I will probably get a 20 as a boil kettle in the future. I need something i can do 5 and 10 gallon batches in and i think a 15 is a good size based on your inputs here and other research. Also i dont mind spending the money on a kettle since I have a crap ton of overtime coming on the next check. So i have been looking at blichmann, stout, megapot, and spike as the manufacturer.

+1 on th 15g. I originally bought a 11g BC and it is pretty full doing 5g BIAB. It would be very easy for it to boil over. I just purchased a 15g BC, less boil over worries and I can do a 10g BIAB if I decide to.

+1 on th 15g. I originally bought a 11g BC and it is pretty full doing 5g BIAB. It would be very easy for it to boil over. I just purchased a 15g BC, less boil over worries and I can do a 10g BIAB if I decide to.

Wait! What??? I can make a 5 gallon batch in a 7 1/2 gallon pot without boiling it over. Why are you having trouble with a 5 gallon batch in an 11 gallon pot?:drunk:

Another thing to consider is your heating source. Do you intend to brew outside on propane?

If you were considering brewing indoors on electric, different criteria may come into play.

Whether you choose BIAB, cooler mash tun, or fancy recirculating mash system, make sure that boil kettle holds your pre-boil volume with some to spare to prevent boil-overs. If there's only a small price difference between a 15G and 20G kettle, go for the 20G. Or buy a keggle, which can be had for $50.

Put the extra money on a grain mill, and see if you can buy your base grain in a bulk buy or group buy. You can save a ton of money with that, and milling your own to your own standards helps in making better beer. For 10 gallon batches you'll need around 25# of grain, so a sack will last only 2 brews.

Wait! What??? I can make a 5 gallon batch in a 7 1/2 gallon pot without boiling it over. Why are you having trouble with a 5 gallon batch in an 11 gallon pot?:drunk:

5.5 gallons to fermenter 90 min boil and about .5 gal of trub is 8 gallons. I haven't boiled over yet but when hot break happens it would be pretty easy.

Well I actually put 5.5 gallons into the fermenter, and do 90min boils. That plus trub is about 7.5 gallons. I haven't had a boil over but when the hot break happens it would be pretty easy if you weren't paying attention. I usually start with over 8 gallons of water.

Well I actually put 5.5 gallons into the fermenter, and do 90min boils. That plus trub is about 7.5 gallons. I haven't had a boil over but when the hot break happens it would be pretty easy if you weren't paying attention. I usually start with over 8 gallons of water. So you're correct a 5 gal into fermenter with a 60 min boil no problem.

Sorry about all the post my tablet kept saying I wasn't connected to server and then I had to re type. I'm far to sober for this.

I am definitely going propane outdoors. My issue is whether i want to start with a HLT, MLT, or BK. I plan on doing a 15/15/20 setup HERMS. I dont know which to buy first as i cant buy all at the same time. Which one will be good for 5g extract and 10g BIAB and later be used for the HERMS system? I think the 20g BK is too big for 5g extract. Am i wrong?

Another thing to consider is your heating source. Do you intend to brew outside on propane?

If you were considering brewing indoors on electric, different criteria may come into play.

Whether you choose BIAB, cooler mash tun, or fancy recirculating mash system, make sure that boil kettle holds your pre-boil volume with some to spare to prevent boil-overs. If there's only a small price difference between a 15G and 20G kettle, go for the 20G. Or buy a keggle, which can be had for $50.

Put the extra money on a grain mill, and see if you can buy your base grain in a bulk buy or group buy. You can save a ton of money with that, and milling your own to your own standards helps in making better beer. For 10 gallon batches you'll need around 25# of grain, so a sack will last only 2 brews.

While i plan on starting with 5g extract batches, i can see myself moving quickly to BIAB in 10 gallon batches. This makes me think i would be better off buying a 20g. Eventually i may move to a 3 vessel setup but may stick with BIAB.

My 2 cents. You've got one batch under your belt. Slow your roll a bit.

Buy a kettle that's appropriate for what you're doing now, and maybe one step beyond. To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to go out and spend a lot of money until you figure a few things out; first is this a hobby you're going to stick with for a long time, and second you need to learn how to work brewing into your life (what works and doesn't work for your situation). Don't spend money on where you THINK you'll end up. Make a conscience decision, a plan even, to go to the next step. Then figure out how to get there.

Also, since you're chomping at the bit, I'd advise you to just go ahead and make the BIAB plunge. Do 5 gallon BIAB for a while. Figure some things out. You might find you want to just stay with 5 gallon BIAB, or you may wanna up production and go 10 gallon. But at least you'll be making an educated decision at that point rather than a guess.

Haven't been in this brewing game long, but general life principals apply in lots of unusual places.

Thanks for that advice. I probably am moving a little too fast on this especially being a beginner. Time to reevaluate.

i went with a 15 gallon spike. They were having a sale. I got everything i needed for about $230. I just assembled it last night. I filled it to the top with water and not one drop was seen. Very pleased. I upgraded from a cheap 5 gallon kettle that was sufficient for pm and extract but i wanted something better and with a ball valve and welded.

Sent from my iphone using home brew

+1

Chiming in with others here, but for what you are doing, 15 gal seems to fit the bill. That will give you a scale from 5 gal extract to 5 gal BIAB to 10 gal BIAB (if your grain bill is light enough).

For reference, I have a 16 gal pot and I do mainly 5 gal BIAB (though I did one extract full boil batch).

For a little while I wished I'd gone w/ the 20 gal, but then I realized the 16 just barely fits in the closet side-by-side with a 6.5 gal carboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knew this would be such a hard decision. Lol. I think I am pretty set on a 15g megapot with the valve only. I already have a thermapen that I use for cooking on my big green eggs so I can use that instead of a thermo. One question though. Does anyone use a keggle for BIAB? I would think it is difficult to get the bag out unless the top was cut all the way to the inner walls. Reason I ask is I am getting a 15.5g keg for $30 from a distributor. Haven't decided if I want to keg beer or stick with bottles. But using a keg as a kettle would save me a considerable amount to be spent elsewhere on equipment like a March pump, scale, and grain mill.

.... spike, megapot, stout and blichmann g2. I have 58 hours of overtime coming on a check but would like to keep the price under $500..

But using a keg as a kettle would save me a considerable amount to be spent elsewhere on equipment like a March pump, scale, and grain mill.

You crack me up ResQue :)
J/k!!!

Less than a week ago this thread starts with you having $500 burning a hole in your pocket throwing names around like Blichmann, Stout, and Megapot....now your talking of hacking the top off a $30 keg... ;)

JMO, kegs are much better for serving, and are heavy as hell, and poorly shaped boil kettles. An inexpensive Concord 15 gal stainless kettle with lid can be had on ebay for 90 - 100 bucks and is well worth it over a keggle with no lid, IMO of course. Yes, BIAB bag extraction can be difficult with a keggle. It can also be difficult to see the wort level in a boiling keggle.

Sorry keggle lovers, not for me, JMO.

60 qt stainless, $90 to your door
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Sta...06351809?pt=Cookware&var=&hash=item20da980ec1

50 qt stainless, $75 to your door
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Polishe...15126841?pt=Cookware&var=&hash=item20db1df439

I crack myself up sometimes. Just needed some common sense slapped across me. No point in spending all that money when I don't even know how serious I am going to get with this. I can only assume I will enjoy it since I only have one batch under my belt. I am just glad you guys steered a newb like me in the right direction. Maybe one day, I will have a sweet looking stout setup if I can get my brother in law into it. Or maybe I will be happy with just doing some 5g-10g extract and biab. Who knows? I know I don't really need a thermo or a sight glass. Just a pot with a valve and some volume markings would be nice over using a dowel or something else.

Yea man...no shame either in buying something used off Craigslist and gettin busy brewin...get your feet wet then you can start thinking herms rims pumps plate chillers.

You can make nice beer with a big ole soup kettle and a cooler if ya got the skills.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Yea man...no shame either in buying something used off Craigslist and gettin busy brewin...get your feet wet then you can start thinking herms rims pumps plate chillers.

You can make nice beer with a big ole soup kettle and a cooler if ya got the skills.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I guess I will need a bag as soon as I figure out what kettle I am getting! Lol

Oh man! Spike just released their new pot. Hmmm, spike or megapot?

In the time you've spent trying to decide what kettle to buy, I could have made 5 batches in my 7 1/2 gallon turkey fryer and had enough money left over from the difference in price between that and the kettle you are looking at to buy several bags of grains. Pretty kettles don't make better beer and you can work with a smaller one if you're careful.

In the time you've spent trying to decide what kettle to buy, I could have made 5 batches in my 7 1/2 gallon turkey fryer and had enough money left over from the difference in price between that and the kettle you are looking at to buy several bags of grains. Pretty kettles don't make better beer and you can work with a smaller one if you're careful.

That's pretty funny. But I am waiting on the next paycheck to buy one. I figured while I was waiting, I would do a little research on them including the help and experience of people here. And, I understand that "pretty" kettles don't make better beer. But $90 to my door vs $190 to my door isn't that big of a difference. At least I was talked out of spending $500 on something I don't have a need for.

Given the two options you selected, I would go with the Spike pot with a valve. I would then start looking for a chest freezer on craigslist and then get a temperature control device (STC-1000, Johnson A419, etc.). As RM-NM said, the best pot will not make the best beer. But a sure way to make crappy beer is to let it ferment outside the temp range.

I have a full size fridge with top freezer that isn't being used. Could that be used? Or is a mini fridge or chest freezer the best route?

Latest posts

Back