Training sidearm to take over as lead bine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I had a bine growing real well and during a storm the lead tip broke about 3' short of where I wanted it to grow to. So Is it true that you can take a long sidearm and train that around the twine and that will take over as the lead bine? Will that sidearm as it grows throw sidearms of its own or am I thinking of this wrong, never had to do this before so just curious if this will work? The sidearm I chose is about one foot short of where the tip broke off the lead bine and the sidearm is about a foot long. Any thoughts would be great.

So I had a bine growing real well and during a storm the lead tip broke about 3' short of where I wanted it to grow to. So Is it true that you can take a long sidearm and train that around the twine and that will take over as the lead bine? Will that sidearm as it grows throw sidearms of its own or am I thinking of this wrong, never had to do this before so just curious if this will work? The sidearm I chose is about one foot short of where the tip broke off the lead bine and the sidearm is about a foot long. Any thoughts would be great.

What normally happens is that the node (the next set of leaves on the stem) just below the break begins to send out two new shoots. These normally would have been cone bearing sidearms but will take over the duty of the broken tip. One of those generally becomes dominant and just continues to grow like the original tip did. Once it's time to start flowering, it too will send out sidearms and produce cones.

It sounds like your plants are already making sidearms so the break may just help those that are forming fill in a little better. You can try to train one and see what happens but I have a feeling that since they're already in flower making mode, they may not want to climb much more and focus their attention on making cones. Let us know what happens.

What normally happens is that the node (the next set of leaves on the stem) just below the break begins to send out two new shoots. These normally would have been cone bearing sidearms but will take over the duty of the broken tip. One of those generally becomes dominant and just continues to grow like the original tip did. Once it's time to start flowering, it too will send out sidearms and produce cones.

It sounds like your plants are already making sidearms so the break may just help those that are forming fill in a little better. You can try to train one and see what happens but I have a feeling that since they're already in flower making mode, they may not want to climb much more and focus their attention on making cones. Let us know what happens.

Ok cool thanks for the advice.

Back