Timeline for dumping yeast in conical fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocluke

Reaction score
I just fermented my first batch in my 12 gallon conical fermentor. The WL007 yeast began activity after 13 hours, and by 40 hours or so I had zero bubbles from the airlock on this simple 1.053 stout. Thinking that it would be good to move off some of the trub/yeast from the bottom so that the solids do not get too compact for my 3/4" port on my ball valve, I dumped about a quart of solids from the bottom after only 2.5 days. It was just clean yeast coming out.

I now realize I probably shouldn't have pulled out any yeast for at least 7-10 days. Just because I'm not seeing any airlock activity doesn't mean the yeast isn't cleaning up [slaps self in face]. I'm hoping this doesn't cause any diacetyl issues with the beer.

My question to others who use conical fermentors:
What is your process for dumping trub/yeast from a conical? Can you point to a reliable source online or in a book that addresses best practices for dumping yeast?

I typically dump trub after about 2 weeks. I'll check gravity to make sure I hit my target and again a few days in a row to make sure there isn't any significant movement. From there it sits at least two more weeks, but usually a month or two, in secondary waiting on one of my kegs to free up.

I personally haven't come across any homebrewing books which specifically address conical dumping practices. I wouldn't sweat it too much, just learn as much as you can about yeast and you'll be ready for anything.

It's not the yeast at the bottom that is doing the "clean up" work. And even if it was, that process is complete in 24 hours or so after active fermentation ends. so, you're fine either way.

Yooper said:
It's not the yeast at the bottom that is doing the "clean up" work. And even if it was, that process is complete in 24 hours or so after active fermentation ends. so, you're fine either way.

It is this line of thinking that caused me to do an early dump, but I can't point you to anything to support that choice, and I don't hear anyone recommending it. I guess what I'm looking for are best practices for conical fermentation.

It is this line of thinking that caused me to do an early dump, but I can't point you to anything to support that choice, and I don't hear anyone recommending it. I guess what I'm looking for are best practices for conical fermentation.

I don't have a conical (no big enough temperature controlled area), but if I did I'd dump the trub 24-48 hours after vigorous fermentation ends. I'd dump again a week or so later. That's only theory, of course, but I think it would be good practice if that helps at all.

Back