Time for Citra addition? (HOPS, HOPS, HOPS!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaha_rva

Reaction score
Does anyone have a strong opinion about when to add citra hops? I've added them to a pale ale at flameout and it was a citra bomb. Maybe too much citra in the face. I'm thinking an IPA for this weekend and I'm going with US Northern Brewer (bittering), then centennial, Willamette and citra, probably not in that order. What do you suppose throwing citra in around the 15 min mark would that get you? I love the flavor and aroma but I'd like to mute it a bit and really blend with the centennial, which will be the super late addition. I'm also going to dry-hop with cascade, because America.

Anyway, any brilliant thoughts on this?

I brewed a pale ale yesterday that has 1oz of cascade and Centennial, as well as 2oz of citra added at flameout. I whirlpooled them for 20 minutes. Smells delicious as it's fermenting. Not sure if I'm going to dry hop it. I think I'll skip it on this batch and maybe dry hop with those 3 next time around if I feel it needs it.

I love Citra, so I say add them at 20, 15, 10, 5, 1, flame out, whirlpool, dry hop, maybe just eat a few pellets for the hell of it, but a few in your sleeping bag and dream about citrusy goodness!

But seriously, one rule I started following when blending Citra with other hops is to use about 1/2 as much citra. So for example, if I'm dry hopping a pale ale with Cascade, Centennial, and Citra... I'll use maybe 1oz Cascade, 1oz Cent, and 1/2oz Citra. Citra DOMINATES any beer, but I love the flavor. So I've just learned to pull back a bit. I do still add it multiple times during the last 20mins, whirlpool and dry hop. I just use a little less than other hops that I may also be using.

I just brewed the zombie dust clone recipe on here and it used all citra: FWH, 20 min., 15 min., 10 min., 1 min. + dry hop. It has been fermenting a week and it smells delilcious. I was a bit skeptical about using it for bittering, but everyone who has tried it swears by it.

Citra is an amazing all around hop. I do a single hop citra IPA with about 6oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch and it is delicious. I usually do 1oz each at 60, 30, 15 and flameout then 2 oz dry hop.

This thread gets me excited; have a citra ipa recipe worked out with magnum for bittering. Can't wait to free up a fermentor!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I've been loving Citra since it was first available here (five years now?) but I've come to use it only for late additions and dry-hopping. I grow Chinook (and Cascade, Centennial and Fuggles) and prefer the Chinook for bittering if I'm going for a Big C brew, or use store-bought Magnum if I'm going for something smoother...

Cheers!

Don't waste it on bittering (some report adverse results). Load up on flameout and dry hop additions! A great point was raised regarding scaling back the amount of Citra when blending... it can be a great complementary hop but can quickly overshadow others in the recipe.

...actually sipping on a Citra/Galaxy APA at the moment.. yum.

Bittering with it will impart a very distinct cat piss body odor flavor, dry hop with it and you're golden. Some people love the cat piss, I'm not one...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I love Citra, so I say add them at 20, 15, 10, 5, 1, flame out, whirlpool, dry hop, maybe just eat a few pellets for the hell of it, but a few in your sleeping bag and dream about citrusy goodness!

But seriously, one rule I started following when blending Citra with other hops is to use about 1/2 as much citra. So for example, if I'm dry hopping a pale ale with Cascade, Centennial, and Citra... I'll use maybe 1oz Cascade, 1oz Cent, and 1/2oz Citra. Citra DOMINATES any beer, but I love the flavor. So I've just learned to pull back a bit. I do still add it multiple times during the last 20mins, whirlpool and dry hop. I just use a little less than other hops that I may also be using.

That was great advice! I realized later that my post wasn't the clearest but that was exactly what I was looking for. I love citra as well but for a more springtime, early summer beer. This will be for fall and I'm looking for something just a hair less ... Bright? Assertive? But I still want a touch of summer in there for auld lang syne.

Back