the TOFU thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldnt resist

_facebook_57965.jpg

Lol, WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP AT THIS HOUR???? No one was supposed to see this until.....i don't know, 5 AM.

*sigh* I only started this thread because Bottlebomber and Leadgollum were on a tofu tear in an otherwise unproductive thread.

I work night shift. I never could figure out how to cook tofu and anytime I tried vegetarian hot dogs are vegetarian hamburger from the store I always found they were too salty. hopefully bomber can help here

There are very few tofu items I enjoy. I really think it comes down to how it is prepared and represented. The midwest is not known for tofu, so I feel I have not experienced a good representation of what tofu is.

Seared firm tofu is good (as is anything fried). I sincerely LOVE tofu in good hot and sour soup, where it is just one of many textures going on in a YUMMY soup.

Leftover seared tofu is going in chimichangas later this week. It should be good.

CHIMICHANGA????? wait....fried burrito?? NICE.
Yup, the tofu is going to go in with the filling mix. Chicken, refried beans, rice, salsa, tofu, and lot of spices. These are going to be pan fried rather then deep fried though. That way they don't retain as much oil.

i
Yup, the tofu is going to go in with the filling mix. Chicken, refried beans, rice, salsa, tofu, and lot of spices. These are going to be pan fried rather then deep fried though. That way they don't retain as much oil.

Interesting! I thought you were doing tofu in place of meat.

The chimichangas were made in my absence. They did not include tofu. The universe shall now end...

The chimichangas were made in my absence. They did not include tofu. The universe shall now end...

You can NOT overlook this insolence....you must enact revenge, or take your own life.

Your verty status as a golem is at stake.

What if you used a mix of cubed tofu and queso blanco in your chimichangas?

Right! That sounds good, or firm tofu cubed and seared. I am thinking black bean, browned tofu and cheese. Really I am thinking sharp cheddar though.

and really.....(since it came up) Deep frying at a high enough temp (350F) creates such steam in the item being fried, that less fat soaks in than even pan frying.

Low heat fried foods end up greasy.

Stay thirsty my friends......

For a little acidity... maybe some pickled cactus too... this could be good, albeit a heart attack on a plate.

We have a high concentration of Spanish speakers in Astoria so I just get it in the "Spanish" aisle of the supermarket, in a little jar. Pretty cheap too! Like 2 or 3 bucks. I betcha you could get it online if you dont have a Spanish market.

What if you used a mix of cubed tofu and queso blanco in your chimichangas?

Right! That sounds good, or firm tofu cubed and seared. I am thinking black bean, browned tofu and cheese. Really I am thinking sharp cheddar though.

and really.....(since it came up) Deep frying at a high enough temp (350F) creates such steam in the item being fried, that less fat soaks in than even pan frying.

Low heat fried foods end up greasy.

Stay thirsty my friends......

For a little acidity... maybe some pickled cactus too... this could be good, albeit a heart attack on a plate.
Hmm, that sounds good actually. Though I'm not sure about the cactus.

Hmmm......the more I think....what about marinating tofu? Maybe salt chili powder and lime juice?

Maybe get the acidity from the lime juice rather than cactus.

I love agedashi tofu - basically, deep fried slices of tofu covered in a sweet sauce. This is a Japanese appetizer and one of my favorite things to do with tofu. You can find it in good Japanese restaurants or sushi bars.

I am displacing a portion of the meat, not excluding it entirely. The sloppy joes where vegetarian though.

Once attempted to make veggie burgers with spent grain and tofu. Didn't quite work as patties and wound up just becoming pretty rad sloppy joes. I gotta find that recipe again....

People who say tofu doesn't taste like anything are wrong. Tofu has a wide variety of flavors. Unfortunately the stuff they sell in the supermarket is only one example, and that's the one everyone in the US thinks of. It is the equivalent of thinking all cheese is like American cheese.

Once attempted to make veggie burgers with spent grain and tofu. Didn't quite work as patties and wound up just becoming pretty rad sloppy joes. I gotta find that recipe again....
That sounds good. A little like meat loaf, only with more sauce?

People who say tofu doesn't taste like anything are wrong. Tofu has a wide variety of flavors. Unfortunately the stuff they sell in the supermarket is only one example, and that's the one everyone in the US thinks of. It is the equivalent of thinking all cheese is like American cheese.
Interesting. Would you care to elaborate?

Hmmm......the more I think....what about marinating tofu? Maybe salt chili powder and lime juice?

Maybe get the acidity from the lime juice rather than cactus.

I cant fault that logic. Maybe a little tumeric as well?
I tried this with a worcester based sauce once. It was not a good idea. I suppose the mistake was trying to make it taste like meat.

I love agedashi tofu - basically, deep fried slices of tofu covered in a sweet sauce. This is a Japanese appetizer and one of my favorite things to do with tofu. You can find it in good Japanese restaurants or sushi bars.
Alas, her allergy to seafood shall see this dish never make an appearance in my kitchen.

I tried this with a worcester based sauce once. It was not a good idea. I suppose the mistake was trying to make it taste like meat.

That is not my goal, I am treating it as I would meat, say chicken.

Alas, her allergy to seafood shall see this dish never make an appearance in my kitchen.

You have my sincere sympathies.

I knew a guy who had a horrendous shell-fish allergy. Apparently one day his wife had shrimp cocktail with dinner. He kissed her goodnight later that day... and wound up in the hospital.

When you have an allergic reaction to kissing your own wife, thats bad.

Beef is the new tofu.

I never could understand the tofu trend. If you want something that tastes like beef the cook some beef. Why go through culinary contortions trying to make a bacon flavored tofu when you can feed the tofu to a pig and get bacon.

Mmm bacon. I need to go and cook breakfast :D

Exactly creamy, I never intended to pretend it is chicken. Maybe it responds better to different seasonings than chicken.

I will master it as I have beef, chicken, scallops, tuna, etc.

To try and make an apple taste like a banana is folly. (shut up creamy ;))

Back