the TOFU thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know it's gotta be rough if it makes that guy gag, I mean he eats raw testicles like they're candy.

Oh I'd probably hate it, and it could very likely make me yak... but if presented with it I would be forced to try it.

There has to be something to it if people have been eating it on purpose since the Qin dynasty.

Interesting. Would you care to elaborate?

There is a huge variety of types of tofu, different production methods used, and also different uses for them in dishes depending upon the flavor and texture.

Just in terms of texture, you can find everything from, say, something akin to a jelly type of consistency through blocks which are more akin to paneer or cream cheese. You could also consider stuff like soy milk as being a variant of tofu, sans coagulant.

In terms of flavor, the supermarket stuff is typically subtle comparatively, but you can get tofu that has an extremely rich, earthy flavor to it as well, and everything in between. There is a tofu maker a few blocks from my house that has an insane selection of tofu that they sell to local businesses and walk-in customers like me. They also sell the byproducts of tofu production like okara, which has a texture akin to maybe cooked bulgur wheat. My wife likes to cook with it sometimes...it is mostly a filler material in my opinion, but it has an insane amount of dietary fiber and a token amount of protein, so it's pretty good for you.

If you really want to try a different twist on tofu, you should seek out a restaurant that sells soon-dubu. When done properly, it's like eating a custard with lots of spicy meats & vegetables in it.

I would find it way easier to steel myself to try stinky tofu than I would balut. Balut is one of those things that I hope I never come across, because I know I would have to try it.

I haven't had balut, although I have had thousand-year eggs. Not the tastiest dish I've ever eaten.

I have also had "blood tofu" which I think on the menu was just called "coagulated blood". I knew when I saw it that I had to order it. I am sure vampires love it, but to me it wasn't particularly interesting.

I haven't had balut, although I have had thousand-year eggs. Not the tastiest dish I've ever eaten.

I have also had "blood tofu" which I think on the menu was just called "coagulated blood". I knew when I saw it that I had to order it. I am sure vampires love it, but to me it wasn't particularly interesting.

Sounds kind of pedestrian actually. Kind of irony... not much flavor. Blood, in my opinion, is best in a nice sausage with other things.

There is a huge variety of types of tofu, different production methods used, and also different uses for them in dishes depending upon the flavor and texture.

Just in terms of texture, you can find everything from, say, something akin to a jelly type of consistency through blocks which are more akin to paneer or cream cheese. You could also consider stuff like soy milk as being a variant of tofu, sans coagulant.

In terms of flavor, the supermarket stuff is typically subtle comparatively, but you can get tofu that has an extremely rich, earthy flavor to it as well, and everything in between. There is a tofu maker a few blocks from my house that has an insane selection of tofu that they sell to local businesses and walk-in customers like me. They also sell the byproducts of tofu production like okara, which has a texture akin to maybe cooked bulgur wheat. My wife likes to cook with it sometimes...it is mostly a filler material in my opinion, but it has an insane amount of dietary fiber and a token amount of protein, so it's pretty good for you.

If you really want to try a different twist on tofu, you should seek out a restaurant that sells soon-dubu. When done properly, it's like eating a custard with lots of spicy meats & vegetables in it.
Thank you. I was not aware that tofu had any significant variance other then the moisture content.

...You have my sincere sympathies.
Oh, I still have seafood once in a while. I have to be very careful about it though.

I concur: regular supermarket tofu in the U.S. is the soy equivalent of BMC beer.

(And in this instance, I actually AM hatin' on BMC. Sue me.)

Wanna get really hardcore?

Really?

I don't think you mean it. How hardcore ARE you?

Because: Make your own tofu at home.
Interesting. The process looks somewhat like making cheese. I'm already doing that. I'll put tofu making on the list for eventual experimentation. I can't say it will be a priority though. Lots of other things to brew and make first.

It would not bother me to eat either escamoles or pacha. I would not attempt to harvest escamoles though.

Toasted ants are actually pretty good. I don't really object to eating the eggs. I don't understand why pacha would bother anyone who likes head cheese.

Latest posts

Back