The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the US Soccer facebook

"1997 was the last time the U.S. left Azetca with a point in World Cup Qualifying"

Kinda crazy.

And aside from the lack of shots on goal (some deadly chances just not the finishing) and some defensive lapses, I think overall the team was better than Mexico. US looked more calm in possession against a top opponent then I've ever seen. Mexico wound up winning the possession battle cause they were clearly better in the second half, but they also were clearly pushing as hard as possible for a point and our makeshift back line held their ground.

Think about it, aside from Gonzalez everyone was new or out of position. That's impressive especially adding that we had a new central midfielder and our normal starting goalie didn't play.

I thought we were lucky to get out of that game with a point.
The tackle Edu put on aquino in the box was very very suspect.

Also, can any of you rules experts weigh in on what the proper call was for the Bradley "shove" on hernandez?
I was thinking that since the pass never made it in to him (deflected), the ref should have shown bradley a yellow card during the next stoppage of play. I didn't think a penalty could be awarded for something that happened off the ball, regardless of if it was in the box. Very possible that I am dead wrong on that.

I thought we were lucky to get out of that game with a point.
The tackle Edu put on aquino in the box was very very suspect.
After reviewing the play from multiple angles over and over, I have determined that the ref made made the correct call. Edu actually gets the ball first with his right boot in between Aquinos legs. No penalty.

I Also, can any of you rules experts weigh in on what the proper call was for the Bradley "shove" on hernandez?
I was thinking that since the pass never made it in to him (deflected), the ref should have shown bradley a yellow card during the next stoppage of play. I didn't think a penalty could be awarded for something that happened off the ball, regardless of if it was in the box. Very possible that I am dead wrong on that.
That's a very good question... our roommate had the same one. If it was called it would have been a penalty kick. Because neither player was part of the play, it's a no-call. Off-ball physicality in the box is generally allowed to a point.

We got lucky that so should of been a penalty on Edu.

To bad for Cheatarito HAHA Such a little punk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I like the so called non-calls but I think that could def have been a PK there, lol. Its a miracle US tied that game but I'm glad at least they physically went after Mehico, almost reminded me of a bruising NBA team. Can't beat'em, then just beat'em.

Omar Gonzalez was so good he needs to leave the Galaxy and go to the Premier League. World Class for sure

Omar Gonzalez was so good he needs to leave the Galaxy and go to the Premier League. World Class for sure

Or we could keep all of our young talent in the states and make MLS one of the top leagues that everybody wants to come to. It's already happening to a small extent. We have tons of talent from Central and South America, as well as plenty from Europe (several killer Italians), Africa, and Asia. But as far as growing the soccer community in America I think it would really help if we held onto our homegrown heroes.

Or we could keep all of our young talent in the states and make MLS one of the top leagues that everybody wants to come to. It's already happening to a small extent. We have tons of talent from Central and South America, as well as plenty from Europe (several killer Italians), Africa, and Asia. But as far as growing the soccer community in America I think it would really help if we held onto our homegrown heroes.

Couldn't agree more.

I think that this is the long term goal. But as it is now, its not really an option, within the confines of the salary cap structure and the current pecking order of soccer leagues. Many of these young players that we would love to keep around want to play at the highest level, and the MLS is not there right now. Its making consistent, steady progress, no doubt. But we're kidding ourselves that if the MLS would just try real hard, we can keep all the young talent around. Other leagues simply offer an experience/challenge/and yes, money, that the MLS cannot right now.

Agreed. But there's no reason to work towards it. And hey, if our talent is looking for greener pastures then so be it. We just need to be able to offer more. The salary cap has been increasing yearly, ending in 2015. Hopefully then the players association can push for a bigger jump.

Agreed. But there's no reason to work towards it. And hey, if our talent is looking for greener pastures then so be it. We just need to be able to offer more. The salary cap has been increasing yearly, ending in 2015. Hopefully then the players association can push for a bigger jump.

Yup. I think MLS is right to try to stay conservative on growth rate. I mean, I'd rather see them grow a little slower but stay viable rather than go nuts with the spending in hopes that the revenue will follow and end up shooting themselves in the foot.

I think it will be great for the national team if/when the MLS has the quality across the board that the majority of our national players play in the league. Would help with familiarity, cohesive playing style, etc.

MLS is going to grow better now with teams starting (or expanding) their academies will get talented kids in MLS younger. I think long term the bringing in of Klinsmann will be a massive net gain for the US. Even if the 2014 WC isn't a better result than 2010, I think that we'll have better young kids which lead to a better senior squad which will lead to better kids and so on and so forth.

Europe (several killer Italians).

Except they're the old talent.

If the US could pull someone like Ibra, who's amazing, growing in poplularity in Europe and not washed up; maybe then the U.S. would look more appealing. But no team in the MLS could afford someone like that.

"Yup. I think MLS is right to try to stay conservative on growth rate. I mean, I'd rather see them grow a little slower but stay viable rather than go nuts with the spending in hopes that the revenue will follow and end up shooting themselves in the foot"

Yup, I think they learned a lot from the first go round with pro soccer in the states. While it was awesome to see Pele and Georgie Best play even past their prime. It wasn't long before the league folded and there was nobody to watch. While at times I hate the salary cap, I also realize it is a big reason they're still playing so I can hate the salary cap.

Good point, but the old NASL was far from the first run at pro soccer in the US. ;)

I don't think the mls can everbe as big as the European leagues, just because we don't have access to the Champions League.

We have Concacaf :) Haha

???

Just about every confederation has a champions league.

uefa > concacaf

times a million

I've never heard of a player leaving an MLS team so they could go to another one that was in the Concacaf tournament so they could compete against the best. Have you?

Forgot to to include UEFA in my first post :)

uefa > concacaf

times a million

I've never heard of a player leaving an MLS team so they could go to another one that was in the Concacaf tournament so they could compete against the best. Have you?

Forgot to to include UEFA in my first post :)

Oh I know you were implying UEFA. My issue with putting a huge emphasis on UEFA Champions League is that these European leagues are soooo proud of not having playoffs when that's essentially what CL is.

Yes, MLSers don't change clubs in order to be on a CCL club but you can be darn sure they would change to be on a playoff club. Not only that but the participating CCL and MLS playoffs clubs are constantly shifting. Fun fact: there have been as many if not more different league champions in MLSs 17 year history than the entire history of either Premiere League or La Liga. That just makes it more exciting than the same four clubs winning the league or the same clubs over and over in Champions League.

MLS can get as big as the US market lets it. Face it if MLS gets big and makes TV deals like the NBA or MLB then they can afford top players either through scouting and signing young guys or sniping a few greats.

It doesn't need a UEFA Champions League, it needs it's own prestige. It has to rely on itself. I think the first step is building up quality American prospects to get noticed on the national level who'll then draw more fans in.

Is anyone else excited for Landon's return? haha

Honestly though, the USMNT is better with him there giving it his all, but if he's gonna be a distraction I don't want him. If he's there giving 100% the US is better for it. If he's there to subvert the coach then let him leave and thanks for the years of effort. Guys who buy into Klinsmann's ways have improved.

You said the correct word there - distraction. There's more to the national team than Landon Donovan.

And with more MLS teams expanding their academies, Union are introducing U14's this summer, the only way is up. However, the league needs to allow 'homegrown' players in to their teams. There's a limit on how many a club can include in their squad but I can't remember how many it is.

Southampton fc looked great today, so easy on the eye to watch. They have wins again Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea

Fun fact: there have been as many if not more different league champions in MLSs 17 year history than the entire history of either Premiere League or La Liga.

Ok, but the "entire history" of the premier league is all of 20 years. No denying that there's more variety of winners in mls vs premier league, but your wording implies that the premier league has been around for ages. :D

Ok, but the "entire history" of the premier league is all of 20 years. No denying that there's more variety of winners in mls vs premier league, but your wording implies that the premier league has been around for ages. :D

My bad. But after looking at the history of England First Division champions, there really aren't that many considering the lengthy history.

Serie A also seems to have a small champion pool.

Also the winner is the team with the most points. They don't have a tournament at the end of the regular season.

Also the winner is the team with the most points. They don't have a tournament at the end of the regular season.

Well sure, but MLS recognizes both. Most points in the season is the Supporters Shield winner. The winner of the playoffs in MLS Cup champion.

Well sure, but MLS recognizes both. Most points in the season is the Supporters Shield winner. The winner of the playoffs in MLS Cup champion.

It makes it a lot easier for the smaller clubs to get hot in the tournament and win the championship. In the European leagues teams can get relegated that adds a whole other level of excitement that no sport in the USA has.

Back