The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
%$&!# Gareth Bale.
Sell him to Real Madrid already.

tcJoNBl.gif

I didn't say he was overrated.
I also didn't say just because he had a testimonial match meant he had to retire, I only mentioned it to note how long he has been playing.
I just think they have better options at CB.
Although all of them seem to suck at passing back to the keeper.

Haha I know ya didn't, was just giving ya my opinion that's all! :D

Re: Bale & internationally, he'll be following in the footsteps of his predecessor, Ryan Giggs. Which is a damn shame. :(

This is definitely Bale's "Shop Window" season. He has been killing it for Spurs and as an Arsenal fan I can't wait till they send him to Spain.

Indeed. I'm not really sure what to expect. I think we'll take em, but we just seem to be prone to disastrous individual mistakes. That coupled with the fact that they will be well and truly up for this game while we seem to have trouble getting up for anything... I'm slightly worried.

COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope we are gonna show up this weekend! Cazorla is firing on all cylinders! Szczęsny keep those hands together and for God's sake hold the ball!

OH SNAP, BITCHES!!

The 2013 MLS season officially kicks off tomorrow. EEEEEEEEEEEEEE SO EXCITED!

And because I'm so stoked, here are the new kits:

Colorado Rapids
New Primary - The hoops are made up of the season ticket holders names. Slick.
rapidsPRIMARY%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

New Secondary - Bright but simple... a cool new look.
coloradoSECOND%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

Houston Dynamo
New Primary - No more sunburst. Bright orange. It's what's to be expected from Houston.
Dynamo1%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

New Secondary - This could be great if done with black shorts.
dynamo_secondary.jpg

LA Galaxy
New Secondary - Boldly bland... blandly bold? Also, embossed quasars at the bottom left and top right corners.
la-galaxy-2013-adidas-away-football-shirt-d.jpg

Montreal Impact
New Tertiary - Tons of awesome. A kickback to their championship '98 season.
impact_thirdFRONT%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

New York Red Bulls
New Primary - No change... just bigger sponsor ad
RBNY_homefront%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

Philadelphia Union
New Tertiary - A tribute to arguably the best club in the history of American soccer, Bethlehem Steel. Pure. Effing. Class.
PHI_tertiary(FORMATTED).jpg

Portland Timbers
New Primary - Not as great as the inaugural kits (seriously, there's no beating those) but the attention to detail and the old-school V neck jersey is appropriate.
PORT_HOME%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

New Secondary - Ditched the special Rose City crest and instead embossed a rose over the crest. Pretty dang cool.
PORT_AWAY%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

Seattle Sounders FC
New Primary - Dropped the duct tape bra straps, simplified, and added an embossed Space Needle. Nice touch.
SEA_home%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

New Secondary - Dude.... duuuuuude. These are sick. Great green and blue "Soundwave" stripe.
seattle_secondary%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

Sporting Kansas City
New Primary - Finally have a sponsor, added some dual-state flare. It's almost like they'll never need a secondary.
skc_primary%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

Toronto FC
New Primary - Oh Canada! That is all.
TFC_primaryfront(FORMATTED).jpg

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
New Primary - Awww their inaugural kit was so perfect. This isn't terrible, but just like Portland you're going to be tough-pressed to beat the original.
VAN_primaryFRONT%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

Chivas USA
New Secondary - This may be intra-stadium bias, but "blah." All of the other simplified kits had some kind of nod to their city. The new Chivas secondary ditched the trademark stripes and only added the "Rebaño Angelino" seal, which further states that Guadalajara owns you. Not directly, but you get the point.
76494.jpg

That NYRB v. Portland game was fun to watch.
Lots of new players making an impact, albeit some had a negative impact.
Wonder how long Juninho makes it without injury or just plain exhaustion....

No comment on the Arsenal / Spurs NLD.

The Portland NYRB game was indeed a good one. As an Arsenal fan I got a chuckle out of seeing Silvestre again.

The NLD... well... what a perfect way to ruin a nice Sunday morning.

PORvRBNY was really exciting.

BUT HOW ABOUT THE HAT-TRACK FROM MIKE MAGEE?!

Mike Magee, aka The Highlander, aka Mr. November, aka Our Lord and Savior, aka Bradley Coopers long lost twin

Time for Mike Magee Facts!

Mike Magee puts asbestos in his boots so he doesn't set the pitch on fire.

Girls all throughout the LA area write "Mrs. Mike Magee" on their journals.

HAHA, and now we have a Lolerpool supporter to fill out the quota. Prepare yourselves for a history lesson!

Ah, more variety. We just need more MLS supporters! Come on, Schlimly, where's your RSL love?

They're flat, they're round, they flop on the ground .....Seattle Flounders......Seattle Flounders..... :ban::ban::ban:

That's my vote for GotW. Pure class and skill. Plus the play leading up to it was solid.

I feel like a lot of the goals from opening week were either perfectly placed bombs from outside the box, volleys from wide crosses, or the end result of excellent passing and a give-and-go. I didn't see too many pot-shots or lucky goals.

Do have to agree that was a class goal.

I'm glad to see the skill level continue to grow in MLS. Loads of talent all over the teams, and more internationals willing to sign. Hope this keeps up and this seasons is incredible no matter which sides are on the pitch.

The only sour mark was the Chivas attendance. That stadium was eeeeempty. Official count said 7000+ but I call bull. There were maybe 2000

Man U was absolutely hosed today. I know it was just Jose being polite but he even said they didn't deserve the win. Man U was so much better the first 48 minutes before Nani was sent off for one of the dumbest reds. Vidic had 2 goal quality headers.

Man U was absolutely hosed today. I know it was just Jose being polite but he even said they didn't deserve the win. Man U was so much better the first 48 minutes before Nani was sent off for one of the dumbest reds. Vidic had 2 goal quality headers.

That was indeed a very bad red.

Horrible red card.

I'd say it goes down as one of the worst referee performances of all time along with the scandanavian guy who did Chelsea v. Barca in the 2009 CL semi, and Koman Coulibaly's mystery call in the USA v Slovenia game in the last WC.

I've seen reds for less. Not that it makes it right, but this is the line you walk when you leave all these split second decisions solely down to the ref. Sometimes you're on the receiving end of a howler. That being said, what in the bloody hell is Nani doing with his boot that high?

I've seen reds for less. Not that it makes it right, but this is the line you walk when you leave all these split second decisions solely down to the ref. Sometimes you're on the receiving end of a howler. That being said, what in the bloody hell is Nani doing with his boot that high?

Trying to get the ball. ;) Bicycle kicks involve higher boots than that, and we don't ask what the hell they were doing. :D

Had there been no one around, no one would question his boot being that high. Of course, there was someone around, but it surely didn't look like Nani knew that, since his eye was on the ball. Which is why, for me, its a yellow. It was obviously a dangerous play, and that's why he doesn't get off with nothing, but its not red in my mind. Of course, I'm nothing but a spectator, so my opinion is worth approximated zilch.

It certainly wasn't this dangerous tho:
Nigel-de-Jong-006.jpg

Ahhh, good ol' nigel.

I get that he was trying to get the ball, but when you're putting your boot up at chest level to control a ball you're assuming the risks when you get it wrong. Nani got it wrong and had to depend on the leniency of the ref. The ref decided no leniency needed.

On another note, apparently a United fan was so incensed with the call that he decided the police needed to be called.

I get that he was trying to get the ball, but when you're putting your boot up at chest level to control a ball you're assuming the risks when you get it wrong. Nani got it wrong and had to depend on the leniency of the ref. The ref decided no leniency needed.

No disagreement there. Nani could have made sure there was no red, that's for sure. On the flip side, if he doesn't make every effort to get that ball, then he's slacking, so no option is without its potential consequences.

I don't think many people are questioning that Nani invited the consequences with his actions, nor that the ref was within his rights to make the call the way he did. There are just a lot of people, like me, who don't agree with his decision.

On another note, apparently a United fan was so incensed with the call that he decided the police needed to be called.

There is so very much stupid in the world. Selfishly, I'm sometimes a little happy to be reminded that the US doesn't have a corner on the market for complete idiots.

I see both sides of the issue on the decision and I think Nani shouldn't have put himself in a position to need a favor from the ref. Of course as football goes sometimes you get the decisions, and sometimes you don't and I can think of a few times the decisions have gone United's way. Perhaps this is the footballing world evening itself out.

Harsh red, but not the first along those lines in a couple leagues this season.

SAF's reaction along with the players is more telling than the sending off imo.

"I'm taking my ball and going home." Sort of thing.

There was absolutely no consistency in the referees calls, or lack of calls last night. Consistency is the most important thing because it lets the players know how agressive they can be without having a mile wide grey area. Patrice Evra & Raphael were abused by the madrid defenders all night long without getting so much as a warning issued. Sergio Ramos drug 2 players down inside the box without even making an attempt at the ball. If you want to let them play rough, then fine, but don't send someone off with a straight red after he went after a ball, not knowing another player was closing on the same ball.

I would hate to have seen what this ref would have done if somebody attempted a bicycle kick inside the penalty area.

I am by no means a man united fan, but I am sick and tired of English teams getting screwed on calls in European competitions.

Well from the picture that's a straight red. "intent" has been taken out of alot of the laws of the game in this regard.

Pretty much from the ankle up if you show your studs to an opposing player and make contact, you would be sent off. From the knee up for certain. Chest high? no question.

Well from the picture that's a straight red. "intent" has been taken out of alot of the laws of the game in this regard.

Pretty much from the ankle up if you show your studs to an opposing player and make contact, you would be sent off. From the knee up for certain. Chest high? no question.

That was pretty much my take on it. Intent or no intent it was reckless. It doesn't matter if Nani intended to ninja kick him in the chest, that's what he ended up doing.

Sure, but Arbeloa ran into his foot as much as Nani ran into him. In other words, when Nani raised his foot towards the ball, Arbeloa wasn't there. So he wasn't "showing his studs to an opposing player." He was showing his studs to air and a player ran into that space.

Again, was it an offense? Sure, and I'm not saying he should have been punished. Is it the same as when someone comes in with a two footed, studs up slide tackle? Not IMO.

And no, he didn't ninja kick him in the chest. A ninja kick in the chest is what de jong did to xabi. :p

Oh, and at this point, I will officially agree to disagree with anyone else on this. I have spoken my piece. :D

Sure, but Arbeloa ran into his foot as much as Nani ran into him. In other words, when Nani raised his foot towards the ball, Arbeloa wasn't there. So he wasn't "showing his studs to an opposing player." He was showing his studs to air and a player ran into that space.

Again, was it an offense? Sure, and I'm not saying he should have been punished. Is it the same as when someone comes in with a two footed, studs up slide tackle? Not IMO.

And no, he didn't ninja kick him in the chest. A ninja kick in the chest is what de jong did to xabi. :p

Oh, and at this point, I will officially agree to disagree with anyone else on this. I have spoken my piece. :D

couldn't agree more.

Fine, he speared him in the chest with his leg. Regardless, I'm fairly certain that is considered reckless and given the spectacular nature of the collision I can see why it was a straight red.

Let's go back to what I said previously:

As far as Peter Crouch goes, should have been at least a yellow for stupidity, but are we surprised that a foul in one league is not a foul in another? Considering the EPL is a much more physical league with a host of teams that subscribe to the philosophy of letting them know you're there I'm not surprised it escaped punishment.

just watched the reply and yup straight red, possibly more games. Nani was the second player to the ball studds up high and simply should have seen the other guy or made an atempt to lower his leg. That's an easy red. The fouled player won the ball with first touch.

I have no care about either team. My side is Seattle. Looking at that with eyes that reffed more than a decade and played three... that's a straight red. Late late late. No attempt to pull away from the contact even after recognizing the other player had won the touch.

I used to destroy other players and make it look accidental.99.9% of the time I could get away with it. Nani figured he'd get the benefit of the doubt. watch it again, after contact.. does the leg pull back or does it continue towards the other player....

BrewKnurd said:
Trying to get the ball. ;) Bicycle kicks involve higher boots than that, and we don't ask what the hell they were doing. :D

Had there been no one around, no one would question his boot being that high. Of course, there was someone around, but it surely didn't look like Nani knew that, since his eye was on the ball. Which is why, for me, its a yellow. It was obviously a dangerous play, and that's why he doesn't get off with nothing, but its not red in my mind. Of course, I'm nothing but a spectator, so my opinion is worth approximated zilch.

It certainly wasn't this dangerous tho:

Ahhh, good ol' nigel.

I think this is the important issue - he didn't know anyone was there. If your goin to do something dangerous - you should be sure no one is there before you do it.

Latest posts

Back