The BEST Zombie films....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course it is! The zombie myth/phenomenon (actual zombies, not movie zombies) originated from the voodoo rituals of West Africa and Haiti. Romero and others have just taken the voodoo stuff out and left in the living dead....usually offering up their own explanation in whatever book or movie they're writing.

If you dug the movie, you should check out Wade Davis' book. It's a fantastic read.

Hence why I said per-se. Awesome movie that involves zombies, but in my opinion not the typical zombie movie. The zombies themselves are made to be more of a plot device than the nemesis of the standard zombie movie. SatR is more of a drama than your typical horror genre zombie flick.

And I reiterate. I really need to get myself a copy. It is far superior to the Indiana Jones movies in my opinion.

THANK YOU!!!!

The scene *SPOILER FOR REAL!!!!!!!*.....where the female zombie hunter decides to off her partner and save our hero is AWESOME!!!!! Effing hilarity far beyond what I thought this film could pull off!

I watched that last weekend actually. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. I kind of felt a little let down through most of it. HOWEVER, the part you're talking to is great and the part after it with his @#$% fiancee and the scientist/hunter is even better. The hole alone is amazing.

Speaking of which... While I'm at it, Land of the Dead was such a f'n letdown. The script was fantastic. The acting in it was absolutely god awful and borderline painful for something finished at the quality level it was attempting to pull off. I checked a couple top XX lists and how that hit so many of them amazes me. They do add "Fido" in there which is kind of a gem only because of the way they did it. And Braindead/"Dead Alive" was excruciating to watch. I'm not really sure what the appeal was for people but maybe that's because I watched it after Day of the Dead (original) and it just seemed incredibly wanting afterwards.

Oh and 28 Days Later, while not a bad movie, just never felt Zombie-ish to me. I get that it sorta kinda is but it just didn't have that feel.

I watched that last weekend actually. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. I kind of felt a little let down through most of it. HOWEVER, the part you're talking to is great and the part after it with his @#$% fiancee and the scientist/hunter is even better. The hole alone is amazing....

We are in complete agreement! I thought the end boosted the whole rest of the movie into "pretty effing good" territory.

Speaking of which... While I'm at it, Land of the Dead was such a f'n letdown. The script was fantastic. The acting in it was absolutely god awful and borderline painful for something finished at the quality level it was attempting to pull off. I checked a couple top XX lists and how that hit so many of them amazes me. They do add "Fido" in there which is kind of a gem only because of the way they did it. And Braindead/"Dead Alive" was excruciating to watch. I'm not really sure what the appeal was for people but maybe that's because I watched it after Day of the Dead (original) and it just seemed incredibly wanting afterwards.

Agree, agree, agree, ag.......WTF????lol

Dead Alive was AMAZING!!! Watch it again. If you are easilly grossed out, then, OK I get where you are coming from, but short of that (in a zombie fan??;)) I bet your frame of mind was wrong......THE LAWNMOWER????? THE GARDEN GNOME???? ZOMBIE BABY?????

too many moments of singular greatness to be denied.

"I kick ass for the LORD!!" is THE BEST line from a zombie film, EVER.

Of course it is! The zombie myth/phenomenon (actual zombies, not movie zombies) originated from the voodoo rituals of West Africa and Haiti. Romero and others have just taken the voodoo stuff out and left in the living dead....usually offering up their own explanation in whatever book or movie they're writing.

If you dug the movie, you should check out Wade Davis' book. It's a fantastic read.

i'm was pretty sure that Romero's zombies originated from him ripping off I Am Legend.

I am Legend kind of pissed me off. I get that they have to bastardize the books somewhat but that was way excessive.

And I don't mind gore (aka, original Day respect) but for some reason that one just didn't do it for me. Maybe cause I watched it nearly 20yrs after the fact? And, I wonder if you liked it for the same reason I liked the movie "Vampires."

I am Legend kind of pissed me off. I get that they have to bastardize the books somewhat but that was way excessive.

No they didn't. One of the alternate endings is Neville understanding he's the monster.

They chose to make it ID4 with vampires.

No they didn't. One of the alternate endings is Neville understanding he's the monster.

They chose to make it ID4 with vampires.

Don't get me started on god blasted alternate endings!!!!!:mad:

Dead Alive is dated at this point, and I saw it when I was 14 (24 yrs ago) so I remember it as I saw it then....BUT.......

Ahem.....the lawnmower scene, the garden gnome, the zed baby, "I kick ass for the lord" etc., etc. are TIMELESS!!!! cause I said so.....;)

Since we are now ranging into post apocalyptic quasi vampires..........

PRIEST was slightly over stylized but pretty damned good. Some of the best action sequences ever, and really solid acting.

Land of the Dead was pure, unadulterated excrement

Romero gives us REASONING zombies, but has a problem with Zack Snyder's RUNNING zombies?

effyoo, George

Land of the Dead was pure, unadulterated excrement

Romero gives us REASONING zombies, but has a problem with Zack Snyder's RUNNING zombies?

effyoo, George

Yeah, can't even watch LOTD.

Zombieland Zombies were actually the best of what I can recall. For garden variety, numerous zeds, they were fantastic.

For Whom The Bell Tolls came on the radio yesterday in the car and I am shaking my fist and picturing the opening creds of Zombieland.:rockin:

Glad to see some real conniseurs here!! Gonna have to revisit DOTD. (not the *****ey hip-hop remake)

Glad to see some real conniseurs here!! Gonna have to revisit DOTD. (not the *****ey hip-hop remake)

2 GREAT things about DotD *****ey hip-hop remake:

#1 - Ty Burrell

#2 - Richard Cheese & Lounge Against the Machine's version of Disturb's Down with the Sickness

bonus: Johnny Cash The Man Comes Around over the opening credits

Richard Cheese & Lounge Against the Machine's version of Disturb's Down with the Sickness

Always good to meet another Richard Cheese fan. That man is a f*cking genius.

And that remake was not *****ey, nor was it "hip hop", whatever that means. It was a solid zombie film with good scares, great gore, and a great cast. Ving Rhames and Sarah Polley killed it. People trash it out of loyalty to the original. The original is a classic and has held up for years and years. Did the remake do it better? No. Was it still a badass movie? Absolutely. In fact I hardly call it a remake. Really the only similarities are the title, they both have zombies, and they both take place in a mall. Other than that, there's not much else. It stands on it's own merits.

the last movie Romero made which wasn't complete garbage was Day of the Dead; Land, Diary and Survival have all been crap in my opinion.

I think the other thing (other then Romero), which ruins Zombie movies (and even the horror genre) is the over use of CGI blood and gore. It looks ridiculous and overly fake, but they keep using it as a shortcut.

City of the Dead is another great itallian classic from Fulci, had the great scene of an individual vomiting up there internal organs..

and if you've never watched this utube series, i thought the first season was great, the second was a bit of "meh"..

Last edited by a moderator:

And I don't mind gore (aka, original Day respect) but for some reason that one just didn't do it for me. Maybe cause I watched it nearly 20yrs after the fact? And, I wonder if you liked it for the same reason I liked the movie "Vampires."

and i was talking more of Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth which was the first movie based off of the novel; and that's where Romero got his zombie idea....or maybe it was the book, i can't remember..

How do we feel about WWZ?

i was initially pretty stoked myself, loved the book; but not sure how well they translated it to film (besides the name) by how the trailer looked.. these zombies don't run, they're f^cking olympic sprinters..

I try to avoid book first for a movie that would cost $10 per ticket to see.

And the Vampire jump is the logical sibling anyway. Both undead. Both use humans as food. Both only seem to have rough rules that change depending on the way the wind blows for the director.

As for LotD, I agree the movie was awful but if you can manage the original script it was terrific.

Also Savini effects are still preferable to most CGI movies now. I must admit tho that I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods tho.

Always good to meet another Richard Cheese fan. That man is a f*cking genius.

And that remake was not *****ey, nor was it "hip hop", whatever that means. It was a solid zombie film with good scares, great gore, and a great cast. Ving Rhames and Sarah Polley killed it. People trash it out of loyalty to the original. The original is a classic and has held up for years and years. Did the remake do it better? No. Was it still a badass movie? Absolutely. In fact I hardly call it a remake. Really the only similarities are the title, they both have zombies, and they both take place in a mall. Other than that, there's not much else. It stands on it's own merits.

I can barely recall the original, but the re-make, I assure you, was horribly directed and poorly acted. I turned it off......(ME the guy who started the ZOMBIE thread). It was stoopid and pandering to a teenybopper audience.

The WORST performance I have seen Ving Rhames give.

I can barely recall the original, but the re-make, I assure you, was horribly directed and poorly acted. I turned it off......(ME the guy who started the ZOMBIE thread). It was stoopid and pandering to a teenybopper audience.

Are we talking about the same movie? The Dawn of the Dead remake...from 2004....the one with a 7.4 on IMDB and a 75% on Rotten Tomatoes? It's a great movie.

And seriously dude, wtf? You can't recall the original? I've never met a zombie movie fan who can't quote that movie practically verbatim.

Are we talking about the same movie? The Dawn of the Dead remake...from 2004....the one with a 7.4 on IMDB and a 75% on Rotten Tomatoes? It's a great movie.

And seriously dude, wtf? You can't recall the original? I've never met a zombie movie fan who can't quote that movie practically verbatim.

Well now you have.:drunk:

OK, I will re-visit both, seen parts of the original DOTD on tv here and there, but accept that we may disagree on the newer one.

I am not just a Zombie movie fan. I am a MOVIE fan.

If the acting sucks and the plot is worthless, I will turn it off, zombies or not.

I missed DOTD because I was 4 when it came out. Get over it.

OK, I will re-visit both, seen parts of the original DOTD on tv here and there, but accept that we may disagree on the newer one.

Yeah man, check 'em out. They're worth devoting the time to.

I am not just a Zombie movie fan. I am a MOVIE fan.

If the acting sucks and the plot is worthless, I will turn it off, zombies or not.

I can respect that. I'm the same way. I just though you might have been talking about the Day of the Dead remake. Which was awful, and also has Ving Rhames. And he sucks in it.

I missed DOTD because I was 4 when it came out. Get over it.

hahaha...don't worry. I'm over it.

I was 6 months old when it came out.

worst Ving Rhames performance? you must be talking about DAY of the Dead remake, with Mena Suvari

and you've obviously never seen Zombie Apocalypse, one of those horrid USA Network monster movies, with Taryn Manning

both much worse from Ving than Dawn of the Dead

Hmmm... I might have even thought that they were the same movie if Ving was in both.

I will sort it out!!!:mug:

I know that I was biased to dislike the remakes because the remake of NOTLD was crappy and redundant. SO....I may have been predisposed.

Yeah. Ving was in both. Dawn remake was pretty well done and a decent homage. Day was the wiping left behind from a directors dump.

Even with minor quirks of Dawn 2.0 I would still give Ving solid marks. Polley was good too. And outside of the turn over of the vehicle itself the rest of the cast was decent at worst.

Also, an alternate ending is not really an actual part of the movie. It's the roll they decided not to roll with the movie. At least the avg deleted scenes could be added to the directors version. The AE are never to return.

Not your traditional zombie flick, but I just recently saw "Warm Bodies". I actually really enjoyed it.

Weizer said:
Not your traditional zombie flick, but I just recently saw "Warm Bodies". I actually really enjoyed it.

I want to see that as well. Absolutely love John Malkavitch in anything, even if he's the best thing in it!

Watched Bite Me last night. Season 1 is much better than Season 2 but I still got a grin out of it...

Return of the Living Dead Ok, I know it's bad. But it is a good bad movie. I give it props for not only giving a cause to the out break, but they even gave some reason behind zombies hunger for brains. And the "gooey zombie" still looks pretty good considering the budget of the film and the time period it was made.

Zombi/Zombi 2....Zombie vs. Shark! Whichever one that scene is in. That scene was the whole reason I watched the movie. lol

Versus! I felt it needed mentioned again. I'd actually forgotten I'd seen it. It's a fine Japanese flick. And doesn't get all weird or drag horribly in the middle.

Hmm My favorite zombie Flicks...

1) Original Dawn of the Dead
2) 1990 remake of night of the living dead
3) Original night of the living dead
4) Return of the living dead( Linnea Quigley was HOT!)
5) Original Day of the Dead
6) Shawn of the Dead
7) Remake of Dawn of the Dead
8) Land of the Dead

hmmm cant think of 2 more...
resident evil was more like an action flick that just happened to have undead in them

What do you folks think World War Z is gonna be like???

I need to check out 28 days later again.....I just remember them driving over a traffic jam and flying through the air in some crappy car that could not possibly be capable of that.......

I know it is wierd, but I like my fiction to be completely realistic and believeable within whatever world it takes place.

I need to check out 28 days later again.....I just remember them driving over a traffic jam and flying through the air in some crappy car that could not possibly be capable of that.......

I know it is wierd, but I like my fiction to be completely realistic and believeable within whatever world it takes place.

if I wanted crap like that, I'd watch Dukes of Hazzard

28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later

can't say which has Bo & Luke jumping in the General Lee

neither of them are bad, but would consider them outbreak movies more than zombie movies

What the hell is wrong with the Dukes of Hazzard unless you're talking about the remake which they tried to give the Broken Lizard treatment too which came out rather painful.

And as I understand it, if you ask Bill Cosby that **** (DoH) was scary too.

Lol, not sure which 28 days it was. They were in a tunnel of some sort, wrecked cars ahead, zombies behind, and WEEEEEEEEE!!!! Up and over in some crappy car with bicycle tires.

What the hell is wrong with the Dukes of Hazzard unless you're talking about the remake which they tried to give the Broken Lizard treatment too which came out rather painful.

And as I understand it, if you ask Bill Cosby that **** (DoH) was scary too.

simmer down, Cletus. I'm about as redneck as they get & admit the TV show was awesome... when I was 14

these days, if I happen to channel surf onto it, I might watch a few minutes.

but it would be the last thing on earth to watch for anything resembling reality

Back