Testing yeast viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chizult

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Noob here.

I'm wanting to brew a batch of pumpkin ale today...it's going to be a while before I'll have the time to get to it in the near future so I really want to get it done this afternoon. My liquid yeast may have frozen in shipment, so I bought a dry back-up (both were mentioned in the recipe). Is there any way to test the viability of the liquid without waiting the day or two for the starter to get going, or should I just go with the dry yeast? I do not have a smack pack or anything of the like. Thanks!

If you have some dme, make a starter before you start your brew day. If you let it sit in a flask or bottle, you should be able to tell if it has life in it.

If you make a really small starter (like a pint or so) it will should quickly start fermenting. If it hasn't started by tonight/tommorrow morning, then just pitch the dry yeast.

Latest posts

Back