Stupid question about how to take gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnGoatJoe

Reaction score
Ok, I've got 1 gallon jugs, and taking gravity readings is a pain.

I've tried both an auto-siphon and a baster to move juice to a test tube, but they're both ridiculously complicated processes because of sanitation (I have 4 jugs going).

I'd like to drop the hydrometer into the jug, but I don't have a way to get it back out unless I fill the jug completely up.

Am I missing something???

get a wine thief. Makes things much, much easier. Starting a siphon just to get a tiny sample is not worth it at all.

Also since you are doing small volumes and want to minimize the amount that you need to sample, have you tried using the hydrometer plastic case as the test jar?

get a wine thief. Makes things much, much easier. Starting a siphon just to get a tiny sample is not worth it at all.

Also since you are doing small volumes and want to minimize the amount that you need to sample, have you tried using the hydrometer plastic case as the test jar?

I did! It turns out it's too big to fit through the top of the jug. Also, I think my hydrometer is too tall.

Maybe I need a shorter hydrometer and a smaller thief?

I use a baster and a plastic test jar, sanitized with star san. If I'm doing multiple samples I'll rinse the tester and beaker with warm tap water in between samples.

I use a baster and a plastic test jar, sanitized with star san. If I'm doing multiple samples I'll rinse the tester and beaker with warm tap water in between samples.

I think the risk is small but tap water is not in fact sanitized for the purposes of wine making. You are actually introducing potential problems when you wash off the sanitizer (is Star San a cleaner or a sanitizer?) with water . How microbe free is your hot water tank?
I would buy a spray bottle and fill it with a solution of K-meta and liberally spray your hydrometer and cylinder or alternatively, and this is what I do, I fill a small plastic basin with solution and soak the hydrometer and cylinder in it and when I am done I pour the solution back into the carboy I keep the solution stored in.

Latest posts

Back