Coldcrash accident before fermentation started … what to do Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sballe

Reaction score
So - I’ve done cider for 2-3 years, both Wild and commercial yeast; never really had many major issues — also thx to this site :)

This year something weird and unfortunate happened — and I don’t really know what to do:

My late varieties were a little slow to fully ripen this year, and I also let them mature about 1,5 weeks after picking. Macerated and juiced same as always — about 20 gallons of nice juice. Pitched my yeast - 71B - in about half. Other half is wild fermentation. All buckets are stored outside in an unheated shed.

The day after there was a sudden temperature drop. From about 12-14C to 4C. (56F to 40F). And today (about 2 weeks after pitch) I took a gravity reading … no change at all, still OG. And film yeast in all 4 buckets. There is no option for heating - and it is about 10miles from my house so “moving it indoors” will be a big hassle. (Actually I live in an apartment so storing indoor is a major pain)

I figure fermentation really won’t pick up before temperature rises … and that could be in march next year!!

Would that be ok to leave for so long ?? Or should I do something else?

If you don't have methods to heat it (electric blankets, seed pads, warm water baths, etc.), I think it's okay to leave it. Sounds like your temperatures are low enough to store it and your yeast will wake up if it warms up. Good luck!

Back