Stuff in wort after boil starts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thern001

Reaction score
I have an all grain question. I have just finished my 2nd all grain batch of beer. While brewing my first batch I noticed that when the wort started to boil there where things floating around. Thinking that the stuff floating around where prices of grain in my second batch I recirculated more ( about 10 times as long). The wort did come out clearer the second time but I still got the gunk in the wort. Being a bio major I figured out it was the proteins in the wort coagulating and coming out of solution. Is that what it is or I'm I doing something wrong?

That's the HOT break you've heard so much about. Like 'comfort said it's mostly proteins. You don't see it with extract because it usually happens at the maltser's.

Wait til you brew an allgrain batch using pilsner malt, it looks just like egg drop soup. And it's perfectly normal.

HotBreakFormation.jpg

Pilsner is exactly the grain I've used in both all grain brews. No wonder I was worrying they pieces of grain in the wort that would cause off flavors because of the boiling. I moved my first batch to a secondary fermenter and I noticed everything had settled out so I wasn't to worried about stuff in the final product only of the flavor. Thanks for the explanation.

Latest posts

Back