Strong Scotch Ale Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
I was curious why does the BJCP profile for the Scotch Strong, does it call for acceptable OG from the 1.070-1.130 but the maximum alcohol is 10%? Why aren't they more kind to a higher Attenuation beers? I'm constructing a recipe and if I get a higher finishing alcohol content how would I attack it?

I'm not a BJCP guru but I have made a couple Scottish Ales. I think the quote you are looking for in the style description is :

"Richly malty with kettle caramelization often apparent (particularly in stronger versions)"

If the goal is malty with kettle caramelization, it's not going to be high attenuating.

You want to go after "sweetness" by using low IBUs, high mash temps, and 90 - 120 minute boils for caramelization.

Low attenuation is just part of the style. You should mashing at 156-158F. Scotch ales should be fermented at low temps (55-60) which also helps under-attenuate...and helps the malt profile. ( At these temps it can take up to 3 weeks in primary to finish) A strong kettle caramelization also goes with the style. To get this, take 1 gallon of first runnings an boil it down to a quart before adding it back to the kettle for the main boil. Boiling for two hours also increases kettle caramelization. You should also lager for a couple months even though it's an ale. This will help give you a much better malt profile. Scotch ales are all about the malt and sweetness. Using a low attenuating yeast helps out a lot as well. I like using wyeast Scottish ale yeast. It is tolerant down to 55F, which is perfect. Also, you should be using hops mainly for bittering and always on the low side. Hop presence shouldn't really be noticeable.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try all these to keep attenuation down. I like the idea of pulling off some wort on the side to boil down.

I'm using very low hops. max 2 oz of Columbus at 60 minutes. I'm also gonna basically not touch the beer for a long time, I'm going for like 3 primary 1-2 months secondary (depending on resultss in secondary) and then just let it mellow in bottles until next winter.

Good plan to let it mellow. I made one last October, it sat in secondary for 2 months, and then sat in bottles. It was a pretty uninteresting brew until about the 9 month mark. Fantastic now, but I only have about 8 bottles left.

Agree on kettle carmelizing and mashing high strategy. Also your IBU's should be in the low 20's for the lower end of the OG range. Maybe up to 30 for the highest. 2 oz of Columbus sounds higher than this, unless you are doing a 10 gallon batch.

Also, why the 3 month primary? Maybe you meant 3 weeks primary. I would go 1 month primary and then let it hang out in secondary for as long as you want.

Yes I meant 3 weeks in primary. 3 months would ruin my plastic bucket.

According to my beer smith 2 oz columbus at 60 puts my IBU at 28.9. Maybe a little high. I'm also I should mention partial mash so my volume of water is lower which utilizes the hops less IIRC.

Age makes a huge difference. I thought I screwed up my first batch because it just didn't taste right even after 5 months. Another 5 months later and it really started to shine. After 1 year it was fantastic. The problem is that by that time, I barely had any left. I've got a monster in primary right now that I won't be tapping until next winter. That's the plan anyways. OG 1.124

Back