Strawberry Hefeweizen PM (1st PM)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayslay

Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time lurker, kit brewer, rookie etc..

I love Hefes, and have tried a few modified kits to make them but decided I need to create my own! I bought 50 lbs of various grains and hops to get me started in the world of PM. I have a few varieties of malts and extracts, but I didn't get enough wheat extract to do a straight extract kit, so I will be advancing to partial mash tonight, most likely a BIAB sort. As my ingredients were ordered as a rookie, I dont have ideal qty, so please be kind but critical.

My Strawberry Hefe:

3lbs Bavarian Wheat LME (at flameout)
2lbs Bavarian Wheat DME
1lb Golden extra light DME
3 lbs White Wheat Malt (mash)
1/4lb rice hulls
1lb 2-row (mash)
3 oz Honey Malt (Gambrinus) (mash)

1 oz Hallertau (60 minutes)
5 lbs Strawberrie: washed, rinsed with santizer, cut out spots, leaf and stem tip, FROZEN

So Im a rookie, but here it goes: Clean my pot and tools and heat strike water to around 165F, about 1.5Qt/lb grain. I will insert the bag and then drop my grains/rice hulls and stir, trying to stabilize the temp around 150-154 F. (I've never done decoctions but I am capable pending the advice I get here.. so that is an option)
After reaching my mash temp I will try and conserve heat and stay at that temp for 60 minutes, adding boiling or chilled water to stay at the temp.

After mash is complete I will do the BIAB tea-bag sparge in a smaller pot and add it back into main pot. Will now desolves the DME's, and start boil once fully disolved. Boil will begin with the HAllertau hop addition, and continue for 60 minutes. After 60min hop boil the heat will be turned off and moved to a cool burner, and the LME will be added in, stirring completely. The pot will be lowered into an ice-cube filled sink for 10 minutes, then moved to the second ice filled sink. Ice will be added to alternate sink for however long it takes with some agitation and spinning. No immersion chilller. Pour into, and top off to 5 gallons in Primary bucket

Once wort is chilled to around 70F I will add my Smack-pack of 3068 Weihenstephaner Weizen yeast. No starter. Ferment under stairs where ambient is about 64F during the day. Hoping for around a 68F Ferment temp.

After rapid ferment is complete (1 week?) I will add the frozen strawberries directly into the Primary bucket, and finish the beer in there for another 10-14 days.

So thats the plan. Any blaring ommisions? I've heard a multi-step decoction brings out some mouthfeel to the beer but as this is my first true PM (I've steeped thrice) I want to keep it simple. Any criticisms?:drunk::confused:

Latest posts

Back